Tuesday, January 27, 2009

One more tax document to file for 2008 and I will be finished except for the 1040 stuff. I hope to finish and send the 940 report by tomorrow. 940 is the annual Federal Unemployment Insurance. A lot of people don't know that employers have to pay such tax to the feds, because the state also collects State Unemployment Insurance premiums. With all the people out of work, the premiums are bound to rise and help force more employee cuts. This whole economic mess has been left to feed upon itself ... and us.

You see all these big profile companies cutting jobs by the thousands, but what about the little guys like us?  A lot more jobs are lost from small industries cutting back or going broke than from the large corporations. The reason you see their numbers displayed is that big numbers from big employers are attention getters; who wants to know that Joe Smallbiz had to lay of one or two people from his little shop? What they don't get from the headlines is that Joe's two layoffs may be half his payroll.
----
Not much going on in my little world today. I am grateful to my Flickr contacts that noticed my 2,000th upload there and thanked me and wished me well. Little things make a big life.
----
I got rid of my smiling-boy photo that was here for a day or two, and replaced it with a likeness of my old friend Opus. He and I had been paling around together since the early eighties, but his creator saw fit to send him wherever it is that used up comic strip characters go. I know pretty well how Opus must feel.
----
Did you ever get the feeling that somewhere in the world something big and very bad is ominously brewing and is likely to happen sooner than later and result in your entire life being turned upside down? Me neither.
----
On my desk at the moment are three small acorns, a dead and dried leaf, a nectarine stone, and a pack of M&M's with peanuts. Close by is my camera with the macro lens attached. You know what I'm getting at, don't you? Me neither.
----
I suppose you want me to shut up if I have nothing to say! Me too.
----

No comments:

Blog Archive