Tuesday, January 13, 2009

An anniversary


"I've been for a walk on a winter's day"

On January 7, 2006, I created this blog. The first entry was on a Saturday and contained only a famous quote by Carl Sagan. The next day was one I will not forget; someone left a comment on a little poem I wrote (now moved to my writing blog). It was from a woman in Texas, and she was very gracious. It surprised me, and to this day I do not know how she found the entry. It was an unforeseen occurrence and I shall be forever grateful because her praise inspired me to keep the blog going. Thanks so much, Robin; I am in your debt. Please give her Flickr photos a look; there is another link on the side bar. She is also an exceptionally gifted artist.

Unfortunately, my writing hasn't improved over the past three years.
----
Looks like we are getting into the "dead of winter" as my elders used to say (I am now an elder). Daytime temps are sometimes getting barely out of the thirties, and I don't want to think about the frigid nights. We received our electric bill yesterday, and it isn't as bad as some folks are getting. Of course we have gas heat and stove, but our water heater is electric, and that is where much of the power is used. Five years ago before going green was "cool", I began swapping incandescent lamps for the wiggly-looking florescent thingys. All that can be effectively changed are now "saving" me bundles of money; the "going green" was secondary.

I even have the energy savers in the outside fixtures, and in this cold weather it takes them a while to come up to full brightness; same as I!
----
Little Breanna Cloyd will be celebrating her third birthday come the seventeenth. She loves her "Ganny Carlyn". She is actually my first cousin thrice removed, but she is a special "grandaughter" too.
----
I see Mr. Obama is seeking half the bailout money. It would be nice if he gave me half of his half. I would then share it with my constituents!
----

No comments:

Blog Archive