Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Sunday well-spent brings a week of content


Icicle with attitude


The sky is wondrously sunny today, inviting me to come out and play, but the temps are in the forties and that will keep my exposure short. We will go to Elizabethton later and clean the credit union building, and if there be enough light left, I may go poking around some back streets. I like porches on old houses, and I am thinking of beginning a series of photos of them. My intro to photography instructor did a part of his fine arts masters thesis with such pictures. Used to be one could get out at night with a tripod and get shots of houses and such, but 9/11 and the ensuing fear mongering by the knee-jerk government has made such actions unwise and down right dangerous; the camera may not be the only thing shooting.
----
One of my Flickr contacts left a comment on my Autumn photo set, and her words have inspired me to the point that I may back down from my thoughts of not posting anymore photos when my pro account runs out come April. My plans were to spend the rest of my years just writing for writing's sake, but I really do like making, editing, and displaying photos. A web site where I can write, post photos, have communities for different things, and even maybe make a little pocket jingle is in the works by another contact's contact. Whatever the cost, I feel it will be worth it as I have been privileged to get a peek, and it looks like it may be the future of online communities. Hopefully it will be up and at least partially running within a few months. When it goes public, I will let you know so you can take a look if you so wish.
----
I read where our only locally owned grocery store chain has been forced to sell out to another company. I cannot say that I will miss them. They tried to play like the big boys but in a small town way, which isn't bad if it works. They did place stores in poor and older communities where less privileged folk could conveniently walk to get their food supplies, and they did keep their prices competitive. The biggest turnoff for me with them was that most of their stores had filthy, pot-hole filled and poorly patched parking lots. However, the store interiors always looked clean. We in Tennessee have some of the best roads, streets, and highways in the world. We may be ignorant and uneducated, but we ride smoothly. Most merchants have kept their parking facilities at least on par with the roads, but this particular set of stores chose not to do so. In part, the continuous dodging of chug holes and continuous litter helped with their demise because folks with decent cars would not stop there. It was a family owned business and had other problems, but the parking lot situation at most of their stores caused me to not frequent them, even if they were more convenient.
----

1 comment:

Mark said...

I never understood a business that had crappy parking lots. Most people will think that is a good indicator of what you will find inside.

Blog Archive