Tuesday, November 27, 2007

We've had several days of cloudy and fairly warm weather, but very little rain has come. The gloomy conditions, along with Christmas blahs, makes my winter time depression worse. The loss of daylight doesn't help any.

.............................

The photo is actually a doodle born of boredom. I never intended to upload it for public view, or I would have centered the light and door. For pure meanness, I wanted it to have flames all around the border—I did make one—and file it for future use. But, I'm running low on photos to quench my Flickr thirst, so I created a combo color/bw and posted it. At best, it is still a doodle.

.............................

The skies turned sunny and the air cooler this afternoon. Another day closer to spring.

.............................

Just because I dislike Christmas, doesn't mean I won't enjoy part of the goings on. There are a few very good seasonal movies that I try to see each year. The original Miracle on 34th Street is a favorite, as is A Christmas Story. In the later offerings, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is good, as is Home Alone. One movie that a lot of people love but I can't tolerate is It's A Wonderful Life. I liked Jimmy Stewart in a couple of his western genre movies, but his acting ability was limited, and his voice was whiny. I like The Santa Clause and A Nightmare Before Christmas.

Why don't you tell me what your favorite Christmas movies are?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this one much better.....a doodle, I don't know....

Anonymous said...

Hi, anon. I like all three of them, including the one with the fire, but I will save it for one of my sermons. As I have no artistic ability to imagine and create art as do you, this stuff is what I do to pass time and keep my eye and hand communicating. I'm about to run out of ideas, though.

Anonymous said...

any expression that comes from within is art.

Anonymous said...

one of my favorite Christmas stories is I'ts a Wonderful Life. I remember first seeing that as a teen on tv with my father. After 20years, Christmas does something(I get sad and more emotional)... I really miss him most at this time....he loved the holiday, lit up like a child, enjoyed it and made it special.

Anonymous said...

True enough I guess about the art, although I was speaking of stuff others may construe as art. I think art has to have some kind of reaction and appreciation when placed in the midst of strangers, just like yours was for me when first I saw it. Your work is intentionally created, whereas mine is mostly idle doodles. But, thanks for the encouragement, my sweet friend.

.............

I believe I could have appreciated the movie if someone besides Stewart was acting; he tends to over act too much for my taste. However, the story line is very good, and I wish I could write like that. Keep your dad close to your heart; I know you were close to his. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories...

redwhisk said...

I'm feeling sacrilegious, as usual. My favorite Christmas movie is Die Hard. But then I don't really celebrate Christmas. I like to have a celebration on the solstice because it is the change of the seasons and the night before the days start getting longer. To me it is more of a new year's celebration. I taught my kids about the Christmas story and the spirit of Christmas, but my children spent all of their Christmases, from age 10 on, with their father - long story. To me, Christmas is just a hard day to get through.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kathleen,

Any one who knows me will tell you I am not religious. Anything but, actually. Christmas was for my kids to have Santa, and for a gathering of friends to celebrate a new beginning, non-religiously.

As for the solstice, it is the grandest day of the year, next to the one when DST starts. I find winter depressing, and the Christmas stuff makes it more so.

I could rant about this for hours, but it would serve no useful purpose.

Don't feel sacrilegious; it is your humanity showing.

Blog Archive