Monday, February 18, 2008


Male Cardinal


Even with the bit of chill in the air, this morning has a springtime quality. Birds that have been quiet for most of winter are singing, and others are beginning mating calls. The sun's angle is higher and gives a different feeling to the light, even on an overcast day such as this. Scrawny-looking male squirrels are giving chase to loathing females, and daffodils are sprouting in the flowerbed. The lawn grass is re-greening, dogwood buds are swelling, but I still await sight of a robin.
----
I'm almost well from this weekend's near health disaster; just a bit short of breathe still. At least it was a lot more bearable this time, and I was able to drive Carolyn to Elizabethton yesterday.

Being reluctant to push my luck and get away from home for photos, I sat in the car and photographed birds in and around our backyard. Most were unsatisfactory because of the limits of my camera lens. A max focal length of 72mm isn't near good enough for birding, but I will have to work with it unless a digital SLR falls into my lap. Not likely.
----
I've been thinking about the big rebate with which King George and his Court are threatening us. I'll probably boost the economy with my $300, by buying a couple gallons of gasoline. This will also help the future ex-King George when he falls on hard times back in Texas. By purchasing petroleum products, we fatten his oil stock portfolio to the point he may again be able to afford nose candy.
----
President of the USA! A position that can elevate a person from dirt poor to a lifetime of plump pension checks and free health care by being on the job only one day. It is the same with our beloved Congressional folk and Federal Judges. Plus many others.

Ever notice how down-homey our Representative and Senators—State and Federal—are when they are campaigning? Even after they are elected and spending rare moments with their "constituents", they put on their good-old-boy facades. "Rusty" Crowe is a fine example; not only was he disloyal to the party that got him elected, he puts on the charm when telling us "my constituents have let me know they don't want a state income tax". This is most likely true; he just doesn't say that it is his wealthiest Republican constituents whom are using him for a mouthpiece. Yes, a snake has a very disarming demeanor while it sinks its fangs into the flesh. After all, Rusty and the snake are are taking care of themselves first.
----

No comments:

Blog Archive