Monday, January 31, 2011

Robin!

I ain't much on premonitions, but I had a feeling I was going to see  a robin today. I went into the office, opened the blinds, sat and watched for awhile, The sky is mostly overcast but the world has an impending springtime look to it. After a few minutes, I saw them; a pair in a tree across the street. In just a moment they dropped to the ground and began the hunt which was very successful, it seems; leaves were being flipped and bugs and worms were being eaten.  I grabbed the Pentax and went on the porch where I was able to shoot he pair from long distance at a grainy ISO 400. I brought the camera back to the pc and took a look at the results; not very good but not terrible under the circumstances. As I was about to upload one to the blog, I turned and again looked to see if maybe I had one closer stalking in my yard. Sure enough, there was. I put the card back into the camera and once more hobbled to the door, this time I was afraid to go onto the porch because early birds are skittish. I made a few shots through the glass and the one above is typical, shot at ISO 200; it is a huge crop. The most unusual thing about the robins is the pair across the street were male and female and they stayed together. In normal circumstances, the males always arrive here about two weeks prior to the females, and begin establishing their mating territories. So, I have learned something new this year and the last worsh day in January has turned out well.

No comments:

Blog Archive