Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cold and cooking

Still snowing and the wind is like a saw blade against the skin! Carolyn went out to work last evening, got caught in a whiteout and blamed it on me. God must have closed up shop for the night so I was second in line for her fury. I looked out the window of our office and proclaimed in my deep, deity voice, "Peace; be still!" and in just a few minutes the snow stopped. Sometimes I amaze myself.
----
Do you like coffee and biscuits? I do, since I was a very small boy. Take a couple of homemade biscuits, split them in half, pour some hot coffee into a plate, place the biscuits crust upward in the coffee, and as the bread sponges the coffee, pour more coffee over them. When they have soaked all the liquid they can hold, sprinkle on sugar and have at 'em. Poor man's donuts. Canned biscuits (bachelor biscuits) don't work so well, and I haven't tried the Pillsbury frozen variety, but they should be pretty good.
----

I wish the Luck's company would resume cooking and canning October beans; they are much better tasting than pinto beans. Octobers are also called shelly beans or cranberry beans. They are the only variety of brown beans fit to eat with a common biscuit or cornbread, and Carolyn cooks them at least three times each month. They are best when cooked with a piece of streaked meat (pork belly that has too much fat for regular bacon). When I was growing up, we had them several times each week; in fact, Octobers and potatoes were the staples of our diet.
----
May your Wednesday whatabouts be productive!
----


No comments:

Blog Archive