Monday, December 27, 2010

Many Splendored Sweaters

A note concerning yesterday's blog and the '70's duds: It is possible I may have, in a spasm of pre-disco psychopathic neurosis, walked into a Montgomery-Ward store in Parkersburg, West Virginia on a cold evening in late 1971 and purchased a belted sweater, and it may have been much like the very first one depicted in the ad. A very painful admission this is. However, I certainly did not then nor ever have I had a beautiful blond haired woman's head on my shoulder, and I never did buy a hat just like the one Joe Fancy is wearing in said promo. Having painfully wrenched that demon from my past, I can come completely clean and say that I actually bought two of them; yes, I purchased my bride a duplicate one because she had always been into the '60's match-mate rage and I figured I would surprise her for Christmas which was coming up in a few weeks. Needless to say, she was definitely surprised to the point of teary insanity, letting me know that she would never wear the ugly garment and as good as her word, she never did. I wore mine only once. They both languished in the back of our closet for a few years and eventually were given to a local clothing charity; I wanted to put them in a yard sale and try to recoup a few of my dollars, but she allowed she would not be caught dead trying to sell such monstrosities; after all, she had a reputation of sensibility to uphold. I am widely renowned for not having much sense, nor did I have a lot of friends in those days, therefore my self-perceived cool reputation was not tarnished as mightily as it could have been.
----
I'm very happy the Christmas hoo-doo is over for a few short months but it will seem like it will begin anew in a few weeks when one of our corporate-created, semi-holiday, spring-fever events rolls around; St Valentines Day. Love is a Many Splendored Thing, they say, but no amount of chocolates or bouquets of red roses or glittering gemstones can ever take the place of a sincerely spoken "I Love You".
----
Clean up your act because it is Worsh Day!
----

No comments:

Blog Archive