Sunday, February 07, 2010

“There are many persons who look on Sunday as a sponge to wipe out the sins of the week”


All that is left of the Arcade building
in downtown Johnson City. It was
the best landmark the city had left
but the wise ones decided it must go.
Photo 2007


Feeling better today ... so far.
----
I watched one lap of the NASCAR "race" on Fox tv last evening and of course there was a huge wreck. One of the usual spoiled brats went on to win, according to this morning's news. The only reason I watched what I did was because the movie I was viewing on another channel went to a boring love scene. It was a decent movie from the 60's I've seen several times called Bullit.
----
It is snowing here, but nothing serious. I won't complain too much after seeing what the mid-Atlantic and mid-West regions have gone through. It isn't supposed to warm up for at least another week. My skin color has faded and, along with my now pure white hair, I can probably get naked and stand in front of a snow bank and not be seen.
----
Megashot is coming along after some initial problems with new servers, and we have several new members. One thing I do not understand about photographic art is why people make every photo they post look like it was painted on a canvas. I occasionally do it just to have something different, but mainly because the shot may show a tiny bit of camera shake and artistic plugins for software can make it look more acceptable. Some of the stuff these good folk post on Megashot and Flickr become boring to look at; it's as if their entire portfolio is the same picture. As the 70's song says, "different strokes for different folks".
----
I have several targets for photo-making listed on a note card in my decaying brain, and if I can get a weekend with decent light and temps that won't stiffen my bare hands, I may be able to get some shots. I am becoming desperate.
----
Title quote by Henry Ward Beecher.
----
Have a Super Sunday!
----

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took today many pretty good scenes; unfortunately they are all a bit pink. I manipulated my camera as D. ordered me. Well, this time his advices were not appropriate. Eventually he was laughing loudly: 'your photos are nice, well framed, even better than my, but they are pink. Pink!'.

Yes, D., my photos are pink and my vengeance will be sweet.

Have wonderful shots, Ken. Not pink. ;-)))

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!

Looks like D did a gotcha! Yes, time to get even. :-)))

Thanks, Jola. :-)

Anonymous said...

BTW; the pink photos are probably fixable with software. :-)

Mark said...

It was quite nice here yesterday, finally.

You are right about the way people "paint" there shots. Yes they are good or great shots but they do get boring for me. Unfortunately I think most people enjoy those more than they do "street or documentary photography". That same thought pattern is why so many people decorate their homes like their fellow suburbanites.

Anonymous said...

Well, exceptional photographers like you and I and the remainder of the people who read our blogs won't be influenced by the art nouveau. :-)

Maggie said...

LOL
There are all kinds of things to be done with photos now. I just got this in my email and am totally amazed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xMz2SnSWS4
I quote from the email: After watching, read up on some of the background information in YouTube. Unbelievably, no video camera was used here. The photographer used a 12 MP SLR digital camera to shoot still frames and then combined them to create fluid motion. And I doubt it that he used ProShow, either!
end quote. I have no idea what ProShow is. I suppose we are dinosaurs! God knows what the people who like to shoot film might be.. gods?
Yes, different strokes.. makes life interesting. But all those highly saturated over worked ones and textures and blurry 'art' do get to be hohum. I agree, they all look alike after awhile.
Would be nice to see some of those Tennesee trees in hoar frost. Not that I would want you going out there in your bare white feet... put some socks on! :-)

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing video ... and city. Someone put a lot of work into this. I've seen some similar to it, and most seem to have been done with high-end Canon cameras. I don't know what ProShow is either; I have problems with making one still photo look decent.

You mean you want me to get up early enough to catch some frost on trees? That is asking a lot unless the ice stays put until after 9:00am. The furnace doesn't come on until 8:30, and there is no way my tootsies are hitting the floor until then except for an emergency run to the bathroom. We may have to settle for a pic of spring dew. :-)

Thanks, Maggie. :-)

Mark said...

Actually the racing was pretty decent. Much better than it has been.

I'll do my best to show the world my "street" or "documentary" shots.

I like that you have a list of places. I hhave started one for some road trips when the weather is better. I'll be heading to Asheville on the 20th so I hope to get some nice shots then.

Anonymous said...

The C.o.T. ruined racing for me. No more Ford-Chevy competition. Too many Carls and Tonys and Jeremys and not enough Thunderballs and Suitcases and Intimidators. The only "Smoke" from Tony Stewart is out of his egotistical mouth. I'm just old, I suppose.

Your photos are as much art as any other kind of subject matter. Most people would rater see your photos instead of the artsy-fartsy stuff.

I must visit Asheville sometime when it warms up; I haven't been in the city-proper since 1978. I've started that way several times, but I always get distracted and head off through the hills and back roads.

Blog Archive