Thursday, February 11, 2010

Are you a god?


Caught in wreck traffic on I-26

"Are you a god?"

The voice startled me awake from my childish daydream, but I saw no one as I quickly looked around the meadow. I was sitting in soft grasses on a hillside, my bare back against the shaded coolness of a large, weathered boulder sticking out of the ground. After a few moments, I closed my eyes and began to drift back into my subconscious world of giants and dragons and crawly things; a place only little boys know of.

"Are you a god?"

This time I not only heard the voice, but the rock itself resonated the words deeply into my body. Scared, I jumped up and ran a few paces from the boulder, turning to see who was talking so loudly that it was shaking my world. There was no one in sight except a few cows grazing near a farm pond in the little valley below me and they were many, many yards away.

It was mid-summer and the excitement of being out of school for a few months had long past worn away, but it was still good to be a boy in a carefree world where make believe and reality blend into lazy afternoons.

To be continued ...
----
Most of this snow event must be over, but THEY are promising another for the late weekend. Carolyn is trying to get out to the bank and drugstore, and the city streets are in pretty fair shape for the most part. She had to miss all her work last evening, and will miss the out of town jobs today; it makes for a very short payday at the end of the month.
----
Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
~Hebrews Chapter 13, verse 2, Hebrew Bible
----
A heavenly Thursday to all!
----

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I may, Ken ... Your story reminds me a time when I was a little girl and the nuns were preparing me for the first confession in my short life and for receiving First Communion. One year of v. intense spiritual work and later a hard exam, and as you, a little boy, I was also so excited that eventually I lost a consciousness of a border between my real life and my imagination. It's still a vivid memory of my childhood, nice, and a bit strange.

Thanks for this story. I’m your listener.

Anonymous said...

The little borderline between consciousness and the unsubstantial is that which the late Rod Serling referred to as the twilight zone, a place that exists only in our minds but yet is as real as the air we breathe.

You must tell us more of your childhood, at least the good times you hold dear.

Thank you for your encouragement, my friend. :-)

Blog Archive