Wednesday, February 24, 2010


New Siam bridge under construction

I loaded Win XP, and after running the test version of Win 7 for the past several months, here is a fact or two: XP is much slower to boot than is W7, but programs start up faster in XP. XP is also having a problem with my external e-sata drive where all my backups are located, but W7 had no trouble with it. About the best that can be said for either version is that they are real dogs compared to the efficiency and speed of Ubuntu Linux. I would gladly give up using Paintshop Pro for photo editing ( a program I very much like) for Linux, but I cannot give up Quickbooks because of Carolyn's business stuff. Running XP in a Linux virtual machine did not work as I could not access a printer or backup media.
----
As I write this, my entire network connection has disappeared. Fortunately for the world, I kept a spare network card from an old computer; I opened the pc and stuck it in and I am now cooking again. I hope the pc isn't. I don't like for mechanical shit to whip me, and again it did not; at least for awhile.
----
We hillbilly southerners woke up to an inch of fresh snow and somewhat slick roads.
----
Well back to work starting to begin to commence to get ready to prepare to do income taxes. Hold me!
----
Have a happy whatever day it is!

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Afternoon friend. I am in the market to replace this dog of a computer I have. A co-worker told me to avoid Vista. What is your thought on this? my computer works pretty well for transcribing stuff (at least I think it does) but I log on to their server to work. Not sure where to start with this.

Here is what I have observed on the feeder this week: wren is trumped by titmouse, titmouse is trumped by chickadee (believe it or not), chickadee is trumped by cardinal, and cardinal begrudgingly trumped by woodpecker but quickly returns. Since I have a Squirrel Buster Feeder.. the squirrel is now trumped by me! The weather must be changing as all my birds are back singing and hungry. I hope I am always able to find complete joy in watching the comings and goings of the critters in my back yard.

Saw my first butterfly 2 days ago too.
..and it is Thursday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,

The biggest problem I know of with Vista is that it balks at running older hardware and certain programs which were not specifically designed for it and that could include about anything coded before 2006. However in the real world, most stuff will work on Vista. If it doesn't, most vendors provide downloable upgrades for the programs. Win 7 is even worse at running old programs and hardware. If you do not feel like you are ready to take the plunge into Linux and if you can wait awhile, you might consider Win 7 after the first service pack is released, probably within the next six to eight months.

Yes, it is unusual for a tit to be intimidated by a chickadee. I am going to look into buying a so called squirrel resistant feeder (squirrel proof is a leap of faith).

You are seeing butterflies and out temps are staying well below normal 55.

Thursday? Already?

Mark said...

Avoid Vista, its a dog.

No birds returning here yet from what I can tell. The weather is odd I am sure the birds are in a state of confusion.

Anonymous said...

I think some of the robins I've been seeing are passing through, either going north or deciding it is all just bullshit and are heading back south. :-)

Blog Archive