Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Ἰατρέ, θεράπευσον σεαυτόν

I missed two days of blogging and still did nothing of importance except write and answer a few emails. Maggie taught me another photography lesson about cropping and donated a background for my Megashot profile; thanks, my friend. She also informed me Sunday was Chinese New year. Beta Megashot is looking very good; a few new members have come aboard and Cyrus has tweaked the speed; it seems to be very fast in about every thing I've tried. He also did some work on my Wabi-Sabi community and it now looks great. I also managed to write a long overdue testimonial on one of my Flickr contact's profile; I hope it made sense. Maybe I did get some things done.
----
How close did I come to going off the deep end over the past week or so? Saturday before last, I found myself using my laptop and deleting some of my oldest Flickr photos one at a time. I must have culled a thousand or more and some of them existed nowhere but on Flickr; I did not realize I was doing such a deed. I was stone sober, well fed, and completely insane. I dunno ... .

One thing for sure; things seldom fix themselves ere they may be mechanical, corporeal, spiritual, or mental. Mother Nature can repair all wrongs, but she has limitless resources and eons to do so. If I can make myself well from some of this, I intend to accomplish the task; if not, I will try to find other help. The status quo is unacceptable.
----
My youngest grandson is off to take his entrance exams for the US Air Force; he did not and has not bothered to tell his granny or me about it. He stayed with us a lot up until he started courting and got himself a job. Good kid, but lacks priorities. His sister is getting married next month and everyone in the family knew about it long before Carolyn or I. Do people not care anymore? I can take a lot, but I won't be taken for granted by people whom should be, at least, respectful.
----
I feel pretty good right now, but I hit a stone wall on the new story. I had that thing all planned out but now I keep firing blanks when I open the file. It will come in time; I just don't know how much time I have left the way things are going.
----
My Windows 7 trial edition is about to expire, and I am going to have to reload a copy of XP from scratch. I hope Microsoft doesn't give me any lip; it is a copy I purchased at Office Depot in 2002; I'm sure they will have something to say as I am installing on a new hard drive. After installing the OS, there are two Service Packs to install plus I must download a virus scanner software and a trillion other things just to make it half-way secure and usable. Linux rules!
----
Here is a link to a lard bucket just like the one I used to build a pinhole camera obscura which I described in an earlier post. We kept several of the buckets around because they were perfect for berry and cherry picking. I could climb a cherry tree with the bail of the pail hanging on my elbow, but I always ate my fill before the bucket received its due. Once when I was about eight years old, the black cherries weren't quite ripe but I stuffed myself anyway. When the pain hit my belly a very few minutes later, I dropped from the tree and made a beeline toward the toilet; I did not make it. My grandma was watching from the kitchen window and saw me change direction toward the house and she met me outside the door with her broom in a most threatening position. I was not to come into the house with poop dripping from both pant legs and stinking to high heaven. I swallowed my boyish pride and removed my pants and allowed her to draw water from the cistern and douse my naked bottom with a couple of buckets full. Still shaking and nude, I was forced to find a stick with which to pick up my pants and place them in a wash tub to soak. Next, I was shooed into another tub and handed a bar of lye soap and I "better be clean" when I got out. I was then let into the house and received clean clothes. I was totally glad I did not have any brothers or sisters; the ridicule would have been unbearable even to my immature ego.
----
Happy Fat Tuesday!
----

4 comments:

Mark said...

Family's are messed up. You would think that your grandson wolud tell you about going into the Air Force. Seems to be a major decision.

My nephew tells me everything and I do not want to know. I see trouble coming his way and it is coming soon.

Cyrus did an excellent job on my banner. The whole site looks totally different. I am impressed.

Deleting pictures that you only have on Flickr. Now that tells the whole story.

Anonymous said...

In my family, such has become the norm. :-(

Sounds like your nephew is wanting your approval by telling you everything. My uncle once said I needed a hand on the shoulder for guidance and a kick in the butt to get me moving in the desired direction. Didn't work. Hope everything works out for both of you.

Cyrus is wanting to make the site a showplace where people will remember that they were there. Can't blame him; he has put more than 2 years of his own time plus big bucks employing coders from around the world. Yep, your place looks great and I am trying to make mine look a lot better. He would do it for me, but he wants some of us to learn how so we can assist new members as they come aboard. I owe him that much. Maggie is very good at designing the pages and is learning a lot from Cyrus. I hope he realizes how much she has done for Megashot.

Most of the deleted pics were pretty crummy anyway, and sooner or later I would have culled a lot of them.

Maggie said...

Oh hey, Ken.. thanks for the plug for the site and all the compliments. You know... if I did not get a big kick out of doing this stuff, I would not be doing it. Its fun and interesting.

Deleting from Flickr... hmmmmmm and Flickr was the only place they were? You no longer have them in your files? oh dear. All the comments and stuff. Once I deleted a whole bunch from another site, which shall go nameless, and I started to save all the comments and downloaded my own photos... I wondered why the hell I was doing that after a while and just dumped everything. Things on the internet are not as long lasting as real life. I find that I should not confuse the two. Even now, when there are all kinds of platforms for communicating on the net. Its a changing world. In two years or even 2 months the deletion won't even matter... I betcha.
Now building your own pc and loading the O/S is not something everyone can do. Linux scares the socks off me!
Families.. we all have them. . . I tend to save mine for real life, mostly.
Hey, Ken! what a shitty childhood story..... LOL somebody had to say it!! No way I will tell you my shitty child story!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is fun and interesting, but you have gone above the call of duty in helping friend Cyrus.

I may possibly have some of them on a backup dvd, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for it. For some reason, wives (sorry) seem to feel like they have to move everything in the house every few months and my stuff is always first on her list. :-)

I suppose I allow the real world and virtual world to meld at times, but sometimes I feel the virtual is all I have. I think I'm a nut!

Modern Linux is as easy as customizing Megashot. :-)

If I saved my family for real life, I would be on death row. :-(

I have several similar stories; one about a persimmon tree and I was a long way from home. Now you have my curiosity piqued and I HAVE to know your shitty story. ;-)

Thanks, my friend. :-)

Blog Archive