Sunday, February 21, 2010

Badass pitbull


Old Horseshoe Church


Yesterday wasn't too bad of a day; I was able to get a couple of decent photos, but best of all, I got to do it in 60° (15°C) temps and under mostly sunny skies. I also drove into the mountains at Wilbur and visited the Watauga river where fishermen and fisherwomen abounded. Most had lines in the water, but I don't think they really cared about the fishing; just relaxing in nice weather was catch enough. There were still many bufflehead ducks on Wilbur Lake, but most will be gone by month's end. I stopped to get some shots of an old 76 service station and grocery store combo, but a pitbull that was at least twice my size and had me well outnumbered quickly put me back into the Escape and on the road. I had no idea there was an apartment above the store, and even less that someone with a rhinoceros sized killing machine was living in it. As is usual for me, I snapped a couple of quick shots as I exited the car, but they are not satisfactory. The sign I wanted to photograph is one of those old, huge, orange, plastic balls that 76 uglified the landscape with many years ago. It is badly faded on top and I shall return when Carolyn is driving the van.
----
There were several robins in my and neighboring yards, and a lot of them were females; the first ones I've seen since August. I suppose the males are happy. A lot of early spring flower photos are showing up on Flickr and elsewhere, so maybe the seasons are beginning to change.
----
I was extremely tired last evening due to several months of vegetating and then finally getting a bit of exercise; it was off to bed early for me. Today, I am very sore from my knees to the bottom of my feet, but such is usually the case with the RA after inactivity followed by a blast of action.
----
Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I noticed the robins were fewer lately and hoped they had arrived safely to their northern destinations. I'll miss them.
Weather is warmer here too in general although I'm still skeptical about its committment.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,
I am very happy to have the robins and raptors are back driving the squirrels crazier. It is still cool here, even for late winter and no real warm up in sight.

Blog Archive