Sunday, April 19, 2009

Riding


Carolyn's knee was giving her a fit yesterday, so we went riding in the hills instead of getting out to places where we would have to walk. I stopped in Jonesborough and made a few photos of a small, country-style store I used to frequent in my youth, It has been converted for use as other businesses over the years, but the owner has kept the original look as much as possible. It is now empty but rentable.

We went on down to Dry Creek and took Jerry some bell pepper plants for his first little garden; JoJo the farmer! I visited a junk yard just for slumming purposes.

We continued on down to Clark's Creek but there were so many horses and horse people we could not find any photo ops. There were a few pretty wildflowers, including trillium, but the wild iris has yet to make blooms. The cool spring has some things flowering late, but the wet spring has others blooming early.

From there we drove to Erwin and on back home. I didn't get too many phots, but one or two of them I like pretty much.
----
Carolyn is boiling creasy greens with fatback, and we will have October beans (shelley) and cornbread. Country fare at its best! Later I will drive her to Piney Flats and Elizabethton to clean the buildings.
----
Just about every grave in the above photo contains the remains of one of my relatives, including my mom and dad. The open area just in front of my camera is filled with unmarked graves. They used to be marked with a simple piece of wood or field stone, but the wood decayed away and vandals removed the stones. Click on the photo to view it larger.
----
The Smoking Gun's Mugshots of the Week!

Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I clicked.

It is charming place. A church is lovely white. Cemetery seems to be cozy and quite; it's beautiful with spring flowers.

Ken, it's amazing to see it as a real place, not only from your story.

Have wonderful new week. Pa!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jola. :-)
Pa ...

Blog Archive