Thursday, April 09, 2009

Maytag junk


Got my weekly fix.
----
Three and one-half years ago we purchased a new Maytag washer and dryer to replace an ages-old set of Hotpoint units. Hotpoint is General Electric's cheaper brand, but we always had good service from them. We looked for Hotpoint when we bought the Maytags, but they were all special order at Lowe's and Home Depot, so we ended up with a mid-line set of Maytags. Last month the dryer went bad and the price to repair it would have been nearly $300, which is way more than it would be worth if it was fixed. Carolyn strung a clothesline in the back yard and all went well ... until today when the washer went bad. We are now facing having to buy a new set, but you can bet your last nickel it will not be branded by Maytag or any other brand they make. At the time we bought the Maytags, I did not know that China owned a huge interest in the company and was supplying Chinese made parts for their assemblies. Anyone have any suggestions as to which brand to buy?
----
Carolyn recieved junk mail from AIG today wanting her to buy insurance from them.
----
We should have a decent weekend weatherwise.
----
The above photo was made Tuesday evening.

Powered by ScribeFire.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had answer for you. Two years when my 15 year old Sears (kenmore) washer and dryer quit working I brought a maytag washer and dryer from Lowe's. I do hope they will last longer than three years. Appliances used to be made to last longer.Good Luck in chosing a new brand.
Alice

Anonymous said...

Hi Alice,
We bought ours at Lowe's also. They took a lot of use; Carolyn washes mop heads and cleaning rags plus our regular laundry plus the grand kids were always "dropping by to see us" and they always managed to have several loads of clothes to wash. Still, the old set lasted about 10 years under the same or worse conditions. You are right; they do not last.

Anonymous said...

In Poland is so nice weather, Ken. It's sunny and warm. I bought today two bouquets of pink tulips and daffodils. This wonderful day I'm spending with daughter at home and I had even time to talk shortly to my charming neighbor, a nice woman, retired journalist.

I wish you would have such nice days and nice Easter in the East Tennessee too.

Lately my husband bought a new dish-washer; and it was German brand Bosh, really very good.:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jola,

We are having wonderful weather, too. Tuesday was just a cold front coming through, but it was a dandy. :-)

Bosch makes good products, but they are so expensive here that they are considered luxury items.

I hope you all have a wonderful and meaningful weekend. :-)

Anonymous said...

You are right, Ken, it was my spelling mistake, Bosch, of course. Brand is German, but factories are also in Poland, so in my country these products are not expensive. I like also Italian products, Indesit for instance. I have washing machine of this brand. It works well for almost 15 years. Can you imagine such thing?
Indesit factories are in Poland too.

Very nice phrase: meaningful weekend.
Yes, I hope. Thanks, my friend. :-))

Anonymous said...

I did not notice your spelling of Bosch. :-)))

That company has a factory in my town where they make auto brake parts.

Blog Archive