Monday, April 20, 2009

Dreary Monday


I was up at 6:00 this morning, and that is a little early for me. It has been raining and is dreary out, but I have a few things—such as preparing and sending out invoices—to get done indoors.
----
Yesterday I cleaned the sensor in the Pentax; a job I do not like to do because there are so many ways to ruin a camera during the process. This was a make-up cleaning from the first time I tried it as I did not get it good and clean then. There have been a few tiny spots showing up on all my photos that included sky, and I have been cloning them out with PsP. I used alcohol instead of cleaning fluid this time, and hopefully everything is ok and I saved myself nearly $100 from having it done professionally.

I change lenses fairly often; like today I would put the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 on if I was going out because of the overcast. All these flower shots I did Friday last were made with the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro lens, and my normal lens for sunny days is a Pentax 18mm-250mm f/3.5-f/6.3 zoom, but it is a heavyweight to carry around; the lens itself weighs 16oz sans hood, and the camera weighs 24oz without batteries and memory card. Add a filter to the lens, batteries, card, lens cap, hood, along with neck strap and I am lugging about three pounds which seems like a lot more after an hour or so. I would also like to have a wide angle lens, but that kind of glass is way beyond my means.

Before buying the Pentax a year ago, I handled a Nikon D60 and A Canon Rebel, and The Pentax felt more solid and than these two, and the big plus is that any lens ever made for a Pentax SLR or DSLR will work on all Pentax and Samsung DSLR's. Ebay and camera clubs have some good deals on used lenses. With Nikon, Canon, Sony, Minolta, and Olympus, you must purchase a lens dedicated to their DSLR's, and some of them even change that convenience every few years; it can become very, very expensive. Except for protective "haze" filters, I use one large filter size and step-up rings for adapting them to other lenses. I only have polarizer and a ND filters, and seldom use them.
----
Carolyn is now up and making coffee ... extra strong!
----
The photo is of my oldest son Jerry and his pal Nick. The tall one is Jerry.
----
While we were out cleaning buildings yesterday, we drove to Watauga Point on Watauga Lake. We saw a sea gull and a Canada Goose, but mainly we saw a lake filled with water for the first time in many, many months; in fact it was up in trees in places. It was raining fairly hard, but there were still sailboats on the water.
----

Powered by ScribeFire.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

D. also loves all his cameras, lenses, filters, rings. Sometimes if he has a good day I can even touch all these treasures and he tries to explain me different details. My favorite Sony camera is damaged and now I use quite simple Lumix.

It’s nicely to see your son, Ken. His dog Nick is pretty.:-))

Anonymous said...

The Lumix must be a very good cameras; both you and Kevin make great photos with them.

Thanks, Jola. Nick is the smart one! ;-)))

Anonymous said...

Yes, it's truth, Kevin makes great photos with his Lumix. Yes, it's truth, we are both (me and Kevin ) crazy about dogs. ;-))

Pa, my friend.

Anonymous said...

I like dogs, but haven't been owned by one ( beagle) in more than 20 years. :-) We have so many wild critters around us that we don't feel as if we need a pet. If I were to get another pup, I would like it to be a Jack Russell terrier, but they are well known as furniture chewers.
Hope you are ok. :-)

Blog Archive