Monday, April 13, 2009

Not much


Bell of Glenwood Church


It is blue Monday and the thirteenth; bad omens!
----
As best as I can recall, the last time I heard the above pictured bell ring was in August, 1972 on the day of my grandmother's funeral. The building now has a new roof, but they failed to repair any of the supporting structures beneath it. In several places the attic is open to the weather and the wood is deteriorating dramatically. Most of the guttering has fallen off and the water is seeping under the church and causing much damage. There are less than 20 members of the congregation at present, and only about half of them regularly attend services. I hate to see the place falling apart, mainly because it was a big part of my life many years ago when I was raised nearby. I remember going to Bible School there around 1950 when it was still called a Baptist church, and having my first cup of Kool-aid.
----
Everyone seems to have post-holiday blahs and there isn't much going on in my world today, so I may as well be quiet until I have something to say.
----



Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Poland it was Easter Monday. Really thirteenth (my birthday).;-)
Once I red an interesting article about Baptist church. The spirituality of the American people is a subject which interests me. But the best is to see people gathered in church and praying, as I once participated in the order of Mass of the Eastern Orthodox Church in Vilnius. It was my beautiful experience.

Bell of Glenwood Church looks so nicely, Ken.

Anonymous said...

It is good that you have two days of remembrance close together (at least this year).

The spirituality over here sometimes comes at a price of blatant hypocrisy. Most of these different denominations do not even like each other, and they all preach down to Catholics and Jews. I get so frustrated with them.

I know it is wrong, but I have thought about stealing the bell before some outsider comes along and does so. It would be for the sake of the community and the people buried in the cemetery if I did so.

Blog Archive