Thursday, April 30, 2009

Milestone


I passed a mini-milestone Friday last; I made my 10,000th photo with the Pentax DSLR. It took less than 13 months. That would have been about $1,460 in film cost alone. Professional processing would have been at least another $2,500. My reusable memory card cost $25, the software for computer processing was $50, and batteries have cost about $120 over that time span. Even though DSLR's are more expensive than film cameras were, the savings overall are tremendous by going digital. You've earned a well deserved pat on the back, Ken. Thank you, Ken.

I make a lot of shots because I figure if I make enough, at least one will come out decent. Shooting in the wild like I do is not like shooting in a studio where things are controlled. Camera light meters do a good job, but they cannot average out everything. Since I began shooting one-half stop under-exposed, I've been able to reduce my total shots at the same subject because I know more highlights will not be blown. I would like to have a handheld light meter, but the cost is prohibitive. I still sometimes use an 18% gray card to set exposure on some closeups.
----
The Depression seems to be deepening; maybe the bottom will come soon. Chrysler is filing for bankruptcy as consumer spending declines once more. New jobless claims are lower, so that could be a sign the worst may soon be over ... but don't bank on it.
----
The fat guy washing his truck in the photo is my friend Mouse whom lives down the street. It is obvious he is bored with retirement.
----
I see where an eight-year-old Saudi girl has filed for divorce from her 50-year-old husband. I thought those kind of convenience marriages only happend in my neck of the woods; Appalachia.
----






Powered by ScribeFire.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Digital is the way too go. My dad just got a Canon point and shoot and loves it. I still do not take a bunch of shoots compared to most folks.

Hard to say where the economy is going.

Saudi Arabia is still backwards in its treatment of women.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I will want a subject with a blurred background, and then shoot it again to maybe pick up a sharp shadow.

Blog Archive