Monday, October 27, 2008

More Rambling


Wilbur recreation area


The RA doc and I agreed I was doing pretty well controlling the advance of the malady, so she scheduled me to return for my next checkup in four months instead of the usual three. She is another person whom wants to retire but can't afford to. Her husband has a type of leukemia and will never be able to work again at his practice.
----
Saturday was pretty well a do nothing day. I was able to endure Alabama mopping the floors with the Vols for three quarters before going over to watch Spongebob Squarepants. Coach Fulmer and his staff still have the blessings of the Athletic department, and I imagine he has a lifetime job of dispensing mediocrity.
----
Yesterday, we went back to Wilbur Dam to see if all the ducks had arrived for winter, but very few have. There were a few mallards and several Canada geese, and I expect some more duck species to arrive within the next two weeks, along with a lot more geese. The small impoundment was down two-to-three feet, and there was no water coming from the Watauga Dam to fill it. The river was low, quiet, and missing all its water just below the dam. We didn't go on up to Watauga lake to see it it was filling, so I don't know what the situation is; just that it is unusual.
----
Some of the campers have left the area, but most are still living in their units along the river. I don't know how this all works out, but they pay $10 per day for the campsite and it includes furnished electric and a community shower building with toilet facilities, but last year the toilet was locked for the winter months and no one was allowed to camp. Carolyn found out the toilet was locked the hard way; she needed to use it ... badly!
----
After leaving Wilbur, we drove on to Roan Mountain State Park, and up to the old Miller homestead and cemetery. I made a lot of shots at both Wilbur and the farm, but very few that I like; very few.
----
Happy Birthday, JJ! Our youngest son is 36 today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell JJ Happy Birthday.
I knew he and Vanessa and were close in age. She turned 36 in September. It makes me feel old.
Alice

Anonymous said...

I will tell him, Alice. Yes, it is bad enough being old, but when the kid's age makes us feel that way, it is discouraging. :-)

Blog Archive