Friday, October 03, 2008

Abort Handgun Ownership






A thought on gun control and abortion: You think abortion is despicable and at the same time you believe that gun control legislation is by and for wacko left-wing extremists? How about if we outlaw abortion and yet allow every crazy in the country to own a handgun? The gun toting citizens can then kill our children in drive-by gang war shootings. But that is ok. They have the right to own—and in some places—carry a loaded handgun. Tell that to a mom whose four year old daughter was killed in her bed by a drive by crossfire. Tell it to a grandmother whose eight year old grandson was accidentally shot and killed by a nervous cop.

What the hell do you think handguns are made for? Turkey shoots? They are designed, engineered, and carefully assembled for one purpose only: To kill people! Not turkeys! Not jack-asses! Not elephants! You, me, our children, and our children's children are the intended targets of handguns. Bullets don't judge the guilt or innocence of people before they slam into their soft flesh and rip up their entrails. A five year old child and a sixty-four year old geezer are indistinguishable to a rifled pistol barrel. The gun is just doing its job!

How about self defense, you say. A lot of handgun owners end up in a pool of their own blood because someone took their gun away from them and killed them. A lot of handguns are stolen and used in crimes. A lot of handguns are sold to individuals by their legitimate owners and those guns end up in the welcoming hands of thugs. Our prisons are over crowded, and a big part of the inmate population is people that used a "self-defense" handgun while committing a crime.

Sermon over.
----
I didn't watch the political debate last evening. This whole mismanaged morass of mangled crap is depressing hell out of me. Whomever is elected, the American people are the only losers. I will say this; I did watch some replays of parts of the responses of both candidates, and while neither positively impressed me, Ms Palin seemed more like a robot than a human.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Christ Ken, talk about a damm minefield. For full diclosure. I own a small handgun. It was given to me as a Christmans present last year by a friend. However I have never shot it and would not miss it if I did not have it. It is registered and all that.

I think that people who use handguns to commit crimes are beyond so morally bankrupt I can not comprehend what one thinks when they do this. I say fuck 'em and let them rot in prison forever.
No fucking chance to walk the face of our planet again. None, not ever. How does one have so little respect for life that they could actually kill somebody is something I can not get my mind around. It makes me wonder where the hell we have gone wrong.

All guns should be registered just like your car. If you sell privately you need to go through the same thing you when you sign over the title to your car.

If you have been convicted of ANY crime you should not be allowed to own a gun. It is not a basic right to own a gun but a right that should be earned and respected.

I think the NRA is morally bankrupt. They are driven by paranoia and fear and use that to scare the hell out of people into believeing their arguments.

I think gun manufacturers are morally bankrupt. They only care about the bottom line and not about life. If they actually cared about life they could actully produce far far less handguns therfore driving the price up which would limit the amount of people who could afford them.

Since I sell law enforcement equipment, not guns, I come across all kinds of gun owners everyday. The thing I see all the time that I will never understand is how many of these people have a paranoia that they are going to be victims of a gun crime. They NEVER go anyplace without a gun. They also take pride in owning many handguns. I, for the life of me, can not imagine going through life always worrying about being the victim of a crime. It seems to me that this is no life at all.

Most people who are pro-life, pro death penalty and pro gun ownership are just plain wrong. I have never understood the pro-life pro death penalty argument. It seems to me to be a contradiction in ones beliefs.

I'd much rather live in a world with no guns and where there was a mutual respect for one another.

The world just needs to sit back, smoke a big old joint and mellow out.

One last thing. I am sure you must wonder why the hell I am selling law enforcement equipment. Well I wonder also. I would rather own a newstand or used bookstore. But sometimes life takes one down strange paths. One day I will find a job that suits me. Now I just need a paycheck that keeps me above water.

Anonymous said...

There are responsible people whom own handguns. It is a moral dilemma for all of us. If I say 'Mark, you should destroy your pistol', and if you did so and then got hurt or killed by an intruder in your home because you weren't able to protect yourself, I would be the one whom is morally bankrupt for making the suggestion for you to do something that caused you risk and injury.

Catch-22 at best!

Registering guns is a very good idea, but there are so many handguns in the population that a lot of them are going to end up in the hands of asshole thugs whom don't care about human life except their own.

I've owned a couple handguns during my life, and I ran one off on a tip board, and sold another to a friend whom sold it to a friend. No telling where either one ended up.

The NRA is one of the worse threats to our basic freedoms. Their use of unfounded fear and paranoia, along with huge amounts of money, controls a lot of local and national legislation. About like religion, I suppose.

I think psychological testing is the best way to keep jerks from legitimately buying guns, but I don't think the science is far enough advanced to make it realistic.

I am afraid the US will go to its grave with this problem being unresolved.

Mark said...

I would rather we did not have guns at all. They usually make stupid people feel like they have power and control.

Anonymous said...

I know a guy that was such a person. He bought a gun and learned to use it and joined a small town police force. One night on a traffic stop, a drunk took his gun away from him and damn near beat him to death with it. He soon found a new line of work and sold his handguns.

Blog Archive