Monday, October 13, 2008





After feeling poorly for several days, I was well enough (I thought) to get back into the mountains yesterday. After cleaning the building in Elizabethton, we went on to Dennis Cove, stopping at the picnic and camping area for a short time. The tree colors still aren't good, and nothing like they were this weekend one year ago when we were there. The drought is still screwing up everything.

Same as last year, the farther up Walnut Mountain we went, the better the colors got, but they were still not great. There were many hunters in the woods as it is bow season for deer. I don't know if they were hunting, baiting, or looking for deer sign, but they were all over the place. We met several going in the opposite direction from us on the narrow road, and the first two refused to back up out of our way even though they were closer to a wide place in the road than were we, so I ended up backing a long way so they could pass. For the third one, I stood my ground, so to speak. He didn't want to back up even though he was within ten feet of a wide place, and I wasn't about to back more than 100 feet so he could pass. Finally he did back up, but he didn't want to; we exchanged salutes as I went by.

I started feeling badly again at the top of the mountain, and Carolyn drove the remainder of the way home via Buck Mountain, Hump Mountain, Elk Park in North Carolina, and Roan Mountain, Tennessee.

I am feeling much better today, and should be ready for our planned day-trip to Cade's Cove come Friday.

No comments:

Blog Archive