Monday, January 28, 2008

At my door the leaves are falling
A cold wild wind has come

Sweethearts walk by together

And I still miss someone
--Johnny Cash

This is my favorite Johnny Cash song and is titled I Still Miss Someone. It was on The Fabulous Johnny Cash album I purchased for my mom at Christmas 1958, and was the first Christmas present I ever bought with money I'd earned. I removed it from her house after she died, and still play it at Christmas. Another favorite on the record is Run Softly, Blue River.

Music wasn't so complicated back then; it was relax, listen, and smile (or sometimes feel sad). Before MTV, anything was possible!
----
Another Monday is here, which can be good or bad. When I was a kid, it was wash day; not for me, but for a week's clothing for the family. Drawing water from the cistern, heating it on the wood burning cook stove in winter or outside over an open fire in warm weather, shaving lye soap, and rolling the Kelvinator ringer-washer out of the corner. In summertime after the clothes were on the line drying, and if there was money to be had for the store, we enjoyed a glass of fresh lemonade, sometimes with ice. Sigh... It seems like a golden time to me, probably because I was too small to do too much of the work.

To this day, I still don't know how to do laundry. They tell me to separate the colors from the whites, and then they then turn right around and put some colors in with the whites. For the sake of reason, which colors are considered as colors, and which ones aren't? Women!
----
Someone a while back remarked that I must like being popular, so I made an attempt to see how well loved this blog is. Technorati has it ranked as the 2,124,856 most popular blog on the net! Wow! Only two million ahead of me. I suppose it is why so many sponsors want to be represented here. Phooey! http://www.technorati.com/blogs/looselaces.blogspot.com
----
For the third time in less than a year, I've been blocked by another Flickr user. I told one guy he was an arrogant dick head, and he blocked me. He has since recanted and listed me as a contact, but I haven't done so for him. Another blocked me because I told her in no uncertain terms that I wasn't an administrator for Flickr Explore. Another recently blocked me over an email snafu. Shit happens! C'est la vie!
----
It is a beautiful, beautiful day in East Tennessee. The mountains are glistening in the morning sun, the temp is above 50 degrees, and the wind is light. The birds are happy, the squirrels are bickering, and I am totally tickled.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi ken just to say that i was only six in 58 but i caught up with the j cash record a few years later,i still miss someone has to be one of my favourites .the new van came with a cd player my first in a works van so i am re living all my old stuff i found some old merle haggard tracks every fool has a rainbow etc and a waylon and willie copy of (i got a few more years on you babe and thats all)the old stuff still sounds good and the wisdom in some of the lyrics is just as true today thanks for loose laces best wishes john and milly

Anonymous said...

Thanks John. I remember the day Hank Williams died. To this day, I believe that was the biggest blow to country music. Then came the deaths of Johnny Horton and and Patsy Cline. Waylon, Willie, Jesse, Merle Haggard and a few others, including your Dwight Yoakam, have picked up the pieces, but it will never be the same.

Blog Archive