Thursday, January 17, 2008

Abstract On Abstracts

What type of painting do you like best? For me, there are two: Impressionism and Abstract. I've been a fan of the impressionist's works for many years; since I first saw a photo of Claude Monet's Impression, Soliel Levant or better known to the English speaking world as Impression, Sunrise.

However—especially in the past year—I have become an admirer of abstract paintings, and abstract art in general. Let's just say I have been influenced by an immovable force. I can't explain why I like any particular style of painting, except to say the ones I do admire make my spirit soar in some way. Be it a well placed object or unusual color combination, or the subject of the work in its entirety, it leaves my soul sufficiently but momentarily fulfilled and soon desiring more.

Abstract to me is all the complications of a subject rendered to its simplest and most understandable and expressive form. Pablo Picasso was one of the founders of cubism, which in turn lead to modern abstract art. (Just for a kick sometime, look up Picasso's full name.) His drawings and canvasses seem simple in their absence of a completely depicted subject, be it still life ot a portrait. But when you study the works, their fullness and beauty become obvious.

Abstract doesn't necessarily mean simplicity of form and function. Artists such as Wasilly Kandinsky and Jackson Pollock made some of the most complicated visual experiences my eyes have ever beheld. In fact, Pollock is still the master of saying little with the most effort.

Whatever style of art you like best, always make room for other genres. Take time to breathe in the the beauty of the world depicted by hearts and hands of the talented creators.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as i am at the far end of a bottle of red wine i will try to comment as well as i am able .i learnt to draw to a reasonable standard by the age of thirteen i used to love ilustrating and won an art prize at scholl my prise was that i was sent to a local book shop to choose any book for the presentation day i chose the observer book on modern art , if i had the book with me now i would look again and try to impress you with my knoledge of art but i gave it to my son who is now studying fine art at university, my father who i miss greatly was a bricklayer by trade decided in my best intrests when i was fifteen and leaving school thati should become a painter but not with the artistic brushes but as a painter and decorator i can thank him at least that i have allways had a work.getting back to the subject of art it was paul ceazzane( sorry if i got the spelling wrong )who inspired me most with a still life of fruit on a table he also painted over and over again a landscape of hills and trees in the french impresionist style art is best portrayed in my oppinion freely and loosely i know a famous artist who lives near us his skill is undisputed as his work is almost photographic i think he shows his work at a gallery in ohio and the duke of edingborough buys his work but it does little for the soul and imagination(gogle andrew hutchinson )so as you will gather by now where iam at, i can appreciate modern art to a point picasso was a brilliant painter and deserved the right to paint anything he wanted what does get up my nose are the people who try to bluff there way with arty farty bollocks we have a yearly prize in england called the turner prize it is usually won by someone cutting a cow in half and displaying it in themaldahide or someone who built a boat floated it down the nile then built a shed with it at the other end what this has to do with art dismays me now i am getting depressed so i had better stop here.john

Anonymous said...

LOL!
Red, red wine
Go to my head
Makes me forget that I
Still need her so

Glad you have some foundation in art... something I lacked completely 'til I took an art history course in college.

I too was a tradesman—electrician—until I was no longer able to do the work.

I like Cezanne a lot, especially his post-impressionist work. His still life paintings are without peer.

You are correct about Mr. Hutchinson; his work is quite beautiful, but it lacks the soul of the artist. Eye candy, I think.

One of my online friends is an abstract artist, and I like her work as it is unpretentious and inspiring. Her gallery is here: http://robintolbert.com/

To my eyes, the work of Jackson Pollock is colorful garbage. Art has to challenge me in some way for it to be appreciated, and his is as bland as oatmeal.

Blog Archive