Monday, October 11, 2010

Autumn hurrieth

This blog may also be read on Wordpress.
----
Late visiting robins are on the lawn, refueling on worms and bugs as they say goodbye to the soon-to-be barren hills. I've read that autumn moves southward at an average of 15 miles per day and the migrating birds are still ahead of the curve. One thing these late travelers need be aware of: raptors are also migrating in mid-October and we are on the edge of a major flyway for them; the robins can easily become a meal.

The leaves are quickly turning; for awhile I was thinking they may be late in coloring this year; the several trees I can see from my window are visibly changing from day to day, even from morning to evening. They may peak a bit earlier than usual. Last year, the high mountains peaked at around the 18th, the mid-level hills around Watauga lake peaked around the 25th, and the 1800 foot elevation where I live was at prime a few days later. Get those cameras ready.
----
I am feeling better this morning, but "better" is relative; the OTC meds are still keeping me more than usually stupid. The time away from the pc has allowed me to do some extra reading; I have finished three full novels since getting the Droid and am in the middle of a short story collection plus I am reading Algernon as I wrote about yesterday.
----
Have a wild worsh day!
----

No comments:

Blog Archive