Saturday, October 02, 2010

Apple butter and I

I am feeling better so far this morning; mostly sneezing and dripping. I didn't attempt to get my shot yesterday but will give it another go come Monday.
----
Our grandson Jeremy should be here from Atlanta very soon; he and Courtney will stay with us tonight. It has been more than a year since last we saw him.
----
Very chilly this morning at 40°F (4.4°C); frost will soon be nipping in the valleys and the mountains most likely got a taste of it overnight.
----
The shindig for our grandsons won't be until 7:00pm today; I wish they had planned it for earlier in the day. Of course, they had to consider some of the folks will be attending the Apple Festival in Erwin and the Storytelling Festival in Jonesborough. Speaking of the Storytelling Festival, tonight is ghost story night and is the most popular part of the event. Many local people have ceased attending the festival because of outrageous attendance prices. Tourists seem glad to pay the $100 or more for the three day event. If I could walk well, I would attend the Apple Festival and buy a year's worth of homemade apple butter.

Oh, Apple Butter; how do I love Thee? Apple butter makes a great icing when baked onto a yellow layer cake. Yellow cake made with apple butter mixed in and baked is superb. Those are two of my grandmothers deserts; she didn't make a lot of sweets, however. A fresh, hot biscuit with cow butter and apple butter is a grand breakfast for a country kid. Instead of maple syrup, try warm apple butter on pancakes. Instead of jelly, mix apple butter with your peanut butter for a scrumptious sandwich. Apple butter on toast is another good breakfast. Yep, I like apple butter, but not the dark factory stuff found on grocery store shelves; it ain't fit to feed a pig. However, I do sometime eat it out of desperation. I like apple butter made with centuries old recipes handed down through generations; the kind lovingly cooked in a brass kettle over an open fire. It is a tradition which is fading from the hill people as the youngsters want instant gratification from the nearest Wal-Mart.
----
Have a great Saturday!
----

No comments:

Blog Archive