Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday Monday, can't trust that day ...


Today has been a big loser. I have the blahs from feeling badly over the weekend and we had light frost last night and today's temps are so cool I cannot sit in the porch. Tonight is supposed to be another frosty spell, albeit a light one. Tomorrow should be much better.
----
This must be a continuation of blackberry winter; I've never seen a frost in this area later than May 5th, and my grandma whom was born in 1895 said she never saw one later than May 9th. Curious, it is. She also said the deepest snow she ever saw was in early May.
----
All the photos I made at the dam Saturday are of fairly poor quality; I really did not feel like being there and my heart was not in what I was doing. I hope to go back there before autumn turns to winter and try again.
----
Carolyn mulched her flower beds yesterday and they dearly needed it as it has been about eight years since it was done. She was so tired when she finished she wasn't able to cook (she says!). She made up for it today with October beans (cranberry beans), some very good yellow tomatoes sliced with cottage cheese on top, Polish sausage (kiełbasa) with sour kraut, and homemade cornbread. Also were some green onions grown by my son from his first attempt a making a vegetable garden. Old farmer Jerry!
----
I was reading and looking at photos of Maggie's garden Saturday morning and Carolyn finally noticed them. Now, I am in a heap of trouble; she saw a lot of things she wants to duplicate in our tiny yard; I'll never hear the end of it. Thanks, Maggie!


Powered by ScribeFire.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

LOL
Carolyn does not really want my high maintenance garden. Really!
It sounds like that lady can get one heck of a lot done in a day. She is moving a lot faster than I am!
The dam was interesting, but I know your quality of work ... the diagonals were nice and you had some good sky!
I can't believe our weather, either. One day its hotter than the hubs of hell, next day near freezing. Did you see the movie.. Day after tomorrow? Pretty scary stuff.
green onions already! wow! market gardener Jerry.
be well
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Mostly ideas for different flowers and plants.
Like me, Carolyn is a big dreamer; she will get a statue of David I suppose, but little else this year; maybe a small pond next year.
Jerry is putting out tomato plants this week; hopefully by mid-July he will bring some fruit.
I saw that movie the day it came out on dvd; very sobering, really.

Mark said...

Strange to get frost so late.
We have had a ton of rain the last you days. More rain the last five days than in the last six months.

Very odd weather pattern.

Anonymous said...

We have already had as much rain this year as we had through August of last year. Maybe our normal weather systems are collapsing?

Blog Archive