Sunday, May 03, 2009

Happy Polish Constitution Day


Yesterday was another ho-hummer. I wasn't in a picture making mood, and I wound up taking Carolyn to Fall Branch, Piney Flats, and Elizabethton to do some small jobs. I carried trash.
----
Today is too rainy to make photos, and I'm not in the mood anyway.
----
Today is Constitution Day (Konstytucja Trzeciego Maja) in Poland. The Polish constitution is the second oldest codified constitution in the world, coming just five years after the United States Constitution was ratified. Source: Wikipedia.
----
I read where the United Auto Workers have won a 55% stake in Chrysler Corporation. Must be something like finding the winning lottery ticket in your pocket a day after it expired. It isn't unprecedented for a union to have ownership of a company, but I can say that it is not a good thing. In the long run, no one but the union fat cats will benefit; and they will do so big time. Better than a golden parachute, they will have a platinum cloud on which to float away.

The Smoking Gun's
Mugshots of the Week!
The "lady" on page nine sure is a right pretty man!
----

Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken, I’m really surprised that I found on your blog a piece of information about Polish constitution. My American friend, thank you.

I do not know well history of the USA. I know that my ignorance is irritating. But I must say once I red constitution of the USA and I was very glad because it is short document and it is written in a very good language; and of course it was a foundation of democracy. In this case we own a lot two countries: France and the USA.

Polish constitution was a dramatic attempt of saving our state (in the end of 18. century). Soon we lost our freedom for more than 100 years. I'm a bit angry for my ancestors that they caused such situation. Some of them even collaborated with Russia. Lack of own state and freedom is a big unhappiness for each nation. Our economy was in bloom, than it collapsed. For many, many years we were poor society and benighted. In 1918 we had to make up for lost time; but it was not easy.

I'm sure I made a lot of mistakes writing these remarks, but I hope you understand my intension, Ken. Sometimes I think that you understand me without words too. :-)

Anonymous said...

I usually check the web for important daily historical facts and happened too see this tidbit about your country. I enjoy learning, although I already knew yours was the second oldest constitution.

Yes, our constitution is remarkable in its brevity, simplicity and its thoroughness. Some of it is based on Great Britain's Magna Carta, but mostly on the yearning to set our own course.

Hopefully, we as nations learn from past mistakes and successes, but as long as there are politics and greed, it is a tenuous education.

No mistakes were made by you; language is a way to communicate, and you do it beautifully. I don't know about understanding, but I do like interacting with you here and on Flickr, and when you write something like this today and in your own way, it just makes me smile and happy to be here. :-)

Anonymous said...

My spontaneity saves me.;-)))

You are an understanding person. Thanks, my friend.

Blog Archive