Wednesday, July 16, 2008




While out and about today, I saw a guy with whom I attended high school. He was driving a late model Corvette, white in color, wearing sunglasses, and looked very well for his age. He lives in an upsacle condo in an upscale part of this low scale town. Gated, tennis, pool; all the amenities that tells the world: 'Look at me! I've got mine!'.

I'm all for it. It is the manner in which he got "his" that perturbs me. His path to monetary gain came through some shady alleys. As far as I know, except for a couple of years immediately after graduating high school, he never worked a day in his life. Anything that is illicit in this town, he has been involved in. At least that is what I've been told by some of his friends. He has owned night clubs, bootlegged, imported and sold drugs, owned prostitutes, and operated betting and bookmaking services. Yet, he has never been caught or convicted of doing any major wrongs.

Yes, he got his, but many others lost theirs to his avarice. On the other hand, these unfortunate souls would have lost it to someone else had not this fellow been in the "entertainment" business.
----
While I was sitting on the porch this morning, two red-tailed hawks kept me entertained for about 15 minutes as they rode the air currents. I do believe that were having immense fun swooping and diving at each other. They flew in wide circles above me for most of the time, and only once did I see one flap his wings, and that was just for one stroke. They eventually disappeared over the southwest woods. At first sight, I thought they were buzzards, and as I hadn't showered yet, figured they were looking for me.

No comments:

Blog Archive