Tuesday, July 08, 2008




Here is a bit more of the story I'm writing. This is totally unedited, but I'm having fun writing it.

When enough dust had settled so they could see what was what, the passenger door opened and a voice from somewhere near the steering wheel exclaimed "Boys y'all lookin' for work? I got a couple day's worth if you want it. Don't pay much but the eatin' is fine, and you two look like you could enjoy a good supper".

As Al stepped toward the open door, a long squirt of tobacco spit from inside the truck cab almost hit his shoe. He gingerly stepped around the fast disappearing mud as it sank into the thirsty roadside dust.

"Yessir, we lookin' for some work. We'll take most anything, and that supper will be welcome." He paused, trying to see into the cab through the now rapidly thinning cloud. "Me or Buster neither one ain't got much cookin' skill, and prepared vittles would be a godsend."

"Toss your bindles in the back and climb in the cab with me."

The man waited for them to be seated, with Al riding shotgun. Buster automatically moved his knee over so the man could push the shifter into low gear. He eased the clutch and the truck motor growled as it pulled them away.

"I'm on my way to town. I'll get you boys a cold soda pop and a baloney sandwich to hold you over 'til the missus gets supper ready."

As they bumped along the dirt and gravel road, they were making "weather talk" and sizing each other up from the corners of their eyes.
----
I don't know how much longer I can work on this story, or anything else for that matter. I may have to go off the methotrexate shots and I can't much function without them. Pain, soreness, and extreme stiffness cause me to stay in bed most of the time when I'm without the medicine. Hate to leave my present doctor because I've been with her for more than 14 years, but things change, and at my age, it is usually for the worse.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do have to leave your present doctor?
Alice

Anonymous said...

Money!
They've been allowing me to make payments as I go along and I hardly ever owe them as much as $100. They sent me a letter yesterday threatening to turn my seriously delinquent account ($90) over to a collection agency. I just paid them $100 three weeks ago, and the last statement said I still owed $37. I sent them the money with a letter saying I would find another doctor. It's all just a screw-up on their part, but I don't like being threatened...

Mark said...

The story seems like it may be a bit autobiographical.

I checked out methotrexate on Wikipedia and it seems like it is pretty heavy duty stuff.

Anonymous said...

All the characters will probably be similar to people I've known, even though I said I wasn't going to do it like that this time. I think the setting is just about the time The US becomes involved in WWII which predates me by just a very few years, but my dad and uncles told me many tales of the Great Depression years.

Blog Archive