Sunday, September 16, 2007

Sunday, Sunday

9:15 am--Carolyn has gone off somewhere; probably to church. More irony.

I'm alone and the house is quiet except for the clicking, ticking clock. Alone is not such a good thing anymore, especially when I can hear the clock ticking my life away. I used to love it, but lately it has become depressingly oppressive.

6:15 am--Another ambiguous Sunday; a day the Christian world uses to ask forgiveness for the previous week's sins. I wonder why they think God will keep forgiving them for the missteps and wickedness that they insist on committing each day. They may quote scripture that says He is a forgiving God. I can quote scripture that says don't push your luck.

Some of these people point a righteous finger and proclaim God is angry at His creations and will soon put an end to this sinful world. Somehow, that finger of indignation won't bend enough to point to themselves.

That's one of the good things about being free; a free person has reality. I don't have to worry about Satan poking a pitchfork in my ass while I'm busy fornicating. I do worry about the cuckolded husband threatening my manhood with with his Buck knife, though. I do have to somewhat worry about my wife catching me being overly amorous with some little darling, or darlings, if I'm extremely lucky.

But then, Christians don't worry about Satan as they sin, because the gratification of fornicating offsets any doubts. It isn't until the conscientious fear of eternal damnation sets in that these good people begin to worry. But then, there is always another Sunday morning to make amends.

Yes, I know; true Christians pray every day and thank God for their blessings and ask for forgiveness, even if they haven't knowingly sinned. That is called covering one's ass.

That brings me to a question I often ask myself; do people attend church because they love God and want to worship Him, or is it because they fear Him? My simplest answer to such a complicated question; most do love God, but they attend church because they fear Him. Here, I'm speaking by and large about intermittent church goers, and these people constitute the majority of the Christian world; a big majority.

Just something to think about.

No comments:

Blog Archive