Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It is actually drizzling rain as I write this. Thank the FSM.

.......................................................

I downloaded an instant message client--AIM--installed it, and have not a clue as to what I'm going to do with it. Are these things for personal messaging or more like the chat rooms AOL had back in the mid-nineties? By the FSM, if it is a chat room, I will soon be relieving myself of it. Back then, I was propositioned by an 80 yr old pretending to be 30, and by a 14 yr old pretending to be 40. Flattering, for sure! The thirty-something chat rooms were the place to be, where everyone seemed to hang a persona except innocent old cow-poop-on-the-clodhoppers Ken. Why are people so desperate?

AOL was just getting started, was cheaper than Compuserve, and had local dial-up numbers. I hadn't heard of Google, and Flickr wasn't even a dream. I was using Windows for Workgroups, which was a poor rip-off of Apple. My browser was Netscape--and still is, disguised as Firefox--and there was little net surfing because there were not many places to go. Very few online retailers, and no spam.

By 1997, local ISPs were spelling doom for the likes of AOL, though "aggressive" marketing kept them healthy for years.

I'll see if I can find an IM buddy or two, that is if I don't have to go into a thirty-something room with them. Anyone want to chatter?

No comments:

Blog Archive