Wednesday, December 10, 2008


Hillbilly art


If the human race disappeared from this universe, and if there is only one thing that we have created left to allow whomever or whatever finds our remnants in some future millennium know that we existed, I hope it would be our art. We have defined and defiled our world, and our art reflects our successes and our failures, our greed and our charity, our joys and our tragedies, our hate and our love. The good and the bad and the ugly, the pretty and the petty, the mundane and everyday existences are all chiseled, molded, cast, painted, drawn, written, inscribed, and photographed, and should be secured so that in case of any human terminating event, mankind won't be completely eliminated from the Cosmic memory. Maybe these relics will be seen and understood; maybe we don't even deserve that.
----
Still haven't heard from the heart doc. I checked with the local funeral parlors to see if they have received any inquiries from him about me, but none had. Que sera sera!
----
The part for Chris' car still isn't here. Looks like when one pays for two day shipping, he should expect two day shipping. The vendor's website says the order is still being "processed". They surely don't want repeat business.
----
I see where people are stealing Christmas scenes and ornamentals from private lawns at an "alarming" rate. All I can say to these robbers is, folks, if you are going to risk jail time for theft, why don't you steal something useful that can be sold year-round? A woman in Texas had a $500 Jesus stolen from her lawn. Is a $500 Jesus worth more than a $1.99 Jesus when it comes to going to heaven? Would she have reported a $10 Jesus as being stolen? Christians (she is Catholic) have put a price on their most sacred holiday, even when the bible plainly teaches that communion each Sunday is the only required Christian observance. The bible teaches us to honor the sacrifice of death that Jesus made, but does not mention any special thing should be done to celebrate His birthday. Teachings, death, and resurrection are all a Christian need know of Jesus; the rest, including Easter, is fluff written on the wind.

4 comments:

Mark said...

We can hope that the art is left. I also wish that art would be one of the central things taught in school.

Back when I was a hell raising teenager I, and and group of friends, did steal strings of Christmas lights from a couple houses and went over to another friends house and put them all over the bushes in front of their house. Nobody asked any questions.

Anonymous said...

Teenage mischief s one thing, but there are folks out there stealing high-cost items and selling them on eBay. A person can sell a stolen lawnmower anytime of year, but huge Nativity scenes aren't popular in June if you can't fence them in December.

I think the only Christmas stuff I stole was some mistletoe when I was 15. I was so ugly, the leaves fell off before I could get it to school the next day. No kisses for me.

Mark said...

I forgot to say I like the Hillbilly Art.

Anonymous said...

Figured you would.
You have some nice "hillbilly art" in your book.

Blog Archive