Monday, December 22, 2008

Cold





I am about over my grouch; no use to fret when one is fretless. I still don't have a car, and may not have one for a long time, but it is ok; too damned cold to go anywhere anyway. Carolyn and I had planned to go to Roan Mountain on Christmas day being she isn't cooking, but that is on hold. I have never been up there in winter time, but winters are long so I may get there yet.

This will be the first year I can remember when she hasn't prepared a Christmas feast. Life is full of change.
----
It is very cold here; it was 8°F (-13C) this morning on my back porch thermometer. This has been the coldest winter in my memory. Of course, this winter is only one day old. One Christmas eve in the late 80's, we had deep snow on the ground with temperatures near zero and high winds to boot. We left The Cottage Christmas party at 5:00pm, and went to Carolyn's mom's to pick pick her up and take her to our house for gift openings. When I took her home about 8:30pm, I noticed a lot of flashing lights in downtown. Later I found that there had been a fire in an old hotel that was being let for efficiency apartments. Several disabled and old people were killed in the blaze. It made CNN news, and it showed the fire trucks and firefighters covered in layers of ice as they fought to save lives and buildings.
----

No comments:

Blog Archive