Tuesday, December 30, 2008





A clarification on yesterday's post: It may read like I was saying all hippies were like the Charles Manson family, but that is not the way I intended it. I was using that bunch of crazies as a model for the worst of the counterculture. To tell the truth, had I made the trek to San Francisco back then, I would most likely have been fried all the time, seldom taking a bath, and enjoying as much sex as possible until it all killed me. I wanted that life so badly!

I got most of my info of the differences in the true (but dirty) hippies and the regular run-of-the-mill flower children from people who had lived in the various counterculture communities in cities around this country and abroad. Most of the flower children types didn't like to be referred to as hippies, because of the stigma. Many of these same people now embrace the word, because it has come to help define and even to a degree glorify their generation. All-in-all, there were many more people of that generation who were not hippies or flower children than that were. The success of The Movement was a result of being in the right place at the right time.
----
Not much happening today; got a makeup shot from missing one last week. Went to Lowe's for bird food, and to Office Depot for a chair mat which I refused to buy because I found the same thing online at Sam's Club for $15 less. Bought tags for both vans, and have been online paying a few bills the rest of the day.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Nice bokeh on that photo. I like the colors.

I don't know how many people of that age really were hippies or flower children. I think it may just have been a week end thing, party time for more people than care to admit it. All the people I knew had 9 to 5 jobs, or were in University. Some people did worked and went to school, as well as partied.... muscle cars, drive ins (for food or movies). We all knew our numbers ran the economy. Interesting times.

Here I am on chrome. Just have to sign in to your blogger account and away you go. Its just easy. You can import all your bookmarks from Firefox. My site meter tattle tale tells me that I am on a Mac and running Safari........ teee heee!

Anonymous said...

I think the core of the counterculture was college kids and run-away middle-class kids whom were fed up with strict mores of the 1950's. I think it was a revolution against boredom and stagnation. If so, it seems to have worked. The "Pill" was a new liberating device; and in the US we had a dynamic young president, and Peter, Paul, and Mary singing "Puff the Magic Dragon". Bod Dylan was making people the world over at least think they could modify society for the better. Yes, the times were a changing.

Chrome is easy to install, but I couldn't find a side bar for bookmarks nor any quick help on where to get it.

Will you use Chrome as the core of an operating system? That is what will come next, I feel. It is one reason Microsoft is rushing their next OS into beta testing. The next year or so should be interesting.

BTW, I logged onto the site we spoke of. It will be perfect; I just hope I live long enough to use it! ;-)))

Maggie said...

Hi

Things are probably changing as fast as ever now, too. So fast that I, for one, can never keep up.

On Chrome there is a little thing looks like a bird top right. You can import your bookmarks and manage them from that drop down menu. Yes, you are right. I want to get a start on the new Google things that are coming. If it is anything like Chrome, I think we will be further along the road to user friendly computers! Like electricity. All I will have to know is how to turn on the switches or change light bulbs.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Maggie.

Blog Archive