Monday, October 29, 2007

...off of a brass monkey!

We had our first frost last night. Enough of that crap; I'm ready for spring. I dislike wearing long pants, jackets and coats, fumbling with buttons and zippers. I don't like cold wind, the sniffles, fewer daylight hours, lousy network tv shows (what other kinds are there?), outdoor activities unless sex is involved, snow, cold rain, day-after-day without sunshine. I don't like Christmas.

I do like the winter night sky with Taurus, Orion, and the dog star prominent. I like the minutes and hours of daylight increasing. I love the first promise of spring, which is usually momma squirrels stopping by for extra peanuts in late February. I like going to the woods and mountains when fresh snow is on the ground. And while I'm there, I enjoy having sex on the seat of a pickup truck. Something about cold vinyl against lots of bare skin that makes one move in a certain way.

What do you like and dislike about winter?

..................................................................................

We had a big to do Saturday, at least for a no-place place like this. On the one hand we had war protesters, and opposing them were quite a few Rolling Thunder MC members. The protesters began their day at a local park with speechifying and flag waving, and after enough speeches were spoken and flags briskly fluttered, they marched on a local factory where depleted uranium is used to produce military ordnance.

When the marchers arrived at the plant, they were greeted by the bikers. Police maintained order. The way I understand it, the bikers wanted a bit of a rumble but the demonstrators maintained discipline in the ranks. It was the same old story; one side wanted the US out of Iraq and the other saying it was encouraging the enemy. Basically anti-Bush and pro-Bush. Old Glory got a good workout. I think most of the protesters were local, but a lot of the bikers were from as far away as Illinois.

Anyway, everyone did their patriotic responsibility thing and went home. Local merchants reaped a profit, while taxpayers footed the bill.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like relaxing next to the fire and wearing winter sweaters and comfey things.......I like the smells, fires burning,cocco, pine....
I hate the loss of light and driving in the snow.

Anonymous said...

Hi, anonymous. I liked the smells of the burning wood and the aromas from the kitchen are always better in the winter.

Blog Archive