Monday, February 02, 2009

Happy Birthday ...


Carolyn on Unaka Mountain


Today would have been my dad's 88th birthday. He died this month in 1986. Happy Birthday, John William Anderson.
----
My main PC is broken; a hard drive (HD) went bad. It wasn't the C drive, but the drive with all my photos from the past two years is in extreme pain; it may prove to be terminal. It started Saturday night when there was an extraordinary amount of HD activity. I shut down and cold-booted the machine, and it was ok Sunday, but this morning the HD activity was on. I tried to open the photo files, and the HD was missing from Explorer. Again I shut down and did another cold boot. This time, the drive was present when I checked the bios, and when I booted into windows it was still there. After a few seconds, the pc rebooted itself unannounced, and on reboot, the chkdsk (check disk) utility ran itself on the drive. It found errors, several corrupt files, and repaired or deleted them, and rewrote the boot sector where the root directory resides. It is now one hour later, and the drive is still performing, and I am checking to see what files are missing. I am downloading a utility to perform that task; it compares files between any two drives and reports the the duplicate and non-duplicate files present. Meanwhile, I made sure my auto-sync backups were present and up to date; they were except for the photos I made yesterday; an entire days shoot is lost ... maybe. I transferred the .raw files from the card to the computer last evening, but I didn't put them in the synched folder; I now have the photo temp folder synched. I also have a utility to find, access, and extract some deleted files on Secure Digital cards. A few software tools and a little knowledge can reduce the pain of these maladays that happen all too often.
----
Out of bed, open the curtains, see sunshine, say dammit, and get prepared for six more weeks of winter. Do I put stock in these old sayings? Some, maybe. One thing for sure, in the place and time I was raised, not only did people put stock in the sayings, they planned their lives around foretold events and knowledge learned by and passed down from older generations.
----
We didn't hit any of the football boards. Atta boy, Steelers.

2 comments:

Mark said...

Its good thing you have some computer skills.

Anonymous said...

I like to know how stuff works.

Blog Archive