Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cold, blogs, and happiness





We are back to the cold winter again with average temps running much below normal. There should be a couple of mild days this week, but by weekend it will be cool again, although closer to median. The cold has kept me indoors much more than usual for winter, and the strain is beginning to show. I have gleaned about all the photos from the archives that I can find which are anywhere near decent. Last year it was late March before the weather really broke for spring. Last year I broke before the weather did.
----
I was looking through the blogs of people from Johnson City and the area, and some seem to be consumed by the number of hits they get each day for their efforts. I enjoy having readers and followers of my blogs, but it isn't why they are being posted. I've been doing this for more than three years, and for a long time the only reader I had was my friend Alice. Eventually more folks (mostly from Flickr) came to look and a few have stayed with me, some on a regular basis. I appreciate all of them and all of you. It is something I enjoy doing, and it is therapy.

My Technorati popularity rank for Loose Laces is 3,324,847th. Two days ago and for the past year it was about 2,500,000th. What does this all mean? It means I probably will not be making a living by selling ads here!
----
The Associated Press reports that "... health care costs will average $8,160 this year for every man, woman and child ..." in the United States.

According to my math, people working full time for minimum wage will gross less than $13,800 this year. Deducting $1,056 for Social Security and Medicare from that amount leaves $12,744 net take home pay if federal and state income taxes are excluded. Subtract the $8160 for medical care and that leaves $4,584 to live on for an entire year. But wait Billy Mays; out of that hunk of change comes state sales taxes, local sales taxes, wheel taxes, auto license taxes, along with taxes and fees on everything else they can think of. America the Beautiful!

Why should people on low income be forced to pay social security and medicare taxes when it is likely they will never live long enough to use it?

On top of this, I heard one of the Rush Limbaugh clones saying that there is no way the federal government should regulate any big businesses, particularly the health care industry.

Phooey!
----

2 comments:

Mark said...

I would love a bunch of hits however it is a fun way for me to express what I feel at the time. if nobody looks then they are losing out. If I worked at it and made it a little more focused it may be different. However I do not want to be a slave to the machine.

Heck I do not even know how to post a link like you did with Techorati without posting the actual link.

Anonymous said...

If I didn't blog, I would have to find some other meanness to get into.

I suppose you are using the Blogger post publisher from the Dashboard. If so, go to the site and page you want to link to, copy the link from the address bar, go back to your publisher and highlight the word or phrase in your text that you want to be your link and then click on the little green globe that has a chain-link on it (located up where the other formatting options are). Paste the full address that you copied into the box, click "ok" and the word or phrase in your text should become a link. You will have to publish it to be able to test it.

I didn't know how to do this until a few months back. :-(

Blog Archive