Monday, August 18, 2008

Journey





The rock group Journey has released a new album with a new front man/singer named Arnel Pineda. I still don't like the group. I heard that for some reason they fired singer Steve Perry whom had been with them for many years. I know little about the other individuals in the group except for Neal Schon, the very good guitar player whom got his big break playing rhythm and backup guitar for Carlos Santana. The problem with Journey in my opinion was Perry. He just seemed sort of wimpy to me, and rock-and-roll is no place for pussys. He may be a great guy, and from the few interviews I've seen, he seems to be just that. The problem now is that Pineda sounds almost like Perry, and in my mind's eye I see Perry when I listen to the song, over which the radio stations are gaa-gaa. With the song Never Walk Away on the Revelation album, the band has a big-time pop hit on their hands. To make it worse, one of my favorite Schon quotes is "I am not a pop musician; I don't want to play bubble-gummy pop stuff." Well Neal, even if you don't play that bubble-gummy pop stuff, the song itself sure is that. It makes me freaking sick!

I would like to see Neal get completely away from Journey and all its baggage and form a band that leans a lot more toward hard rock and away from the semi-hard ballad rock. Schon is a very talented and hard working guitar player whose licks trancend the journeyman label. Give us some more of that great Gibson Les Paul, Neal! Give us those killer solos! With Journey, he has made a lot of hits and a lot of fame and money. Actually the only album I ever bought that he was on, other than Santana stuff, is a solo cd he put out probably in the early nineties. I still play it.
----
Ever feel like you are in a big hollow place all by yourself? For some reason, I have had a lonely feeling for the past day or so. Probably part of getting older and forgetting where I am.

No comments:

Blog Archive