Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Back in the Hunt

Well, I'm back in business, such as it is. Carolyn picked up the new dsl modem this afternoon, and it seems somewhat faster than the antique I was using. Actually, Sprint—now known as Embarq (what a strange name)—was supposed to send one of these new models last year when we upgraded from residential to business. The old modem had been a series of problems since day one, but I never could get them to replace it. Anyway, I hope to get caught up on everything by tomorrow night.
----
yankeepez has some very good questions on his blog of yesterday. Click on this blog's title and it will take you to his page where you can give him some answers.
----
Even I have a question! Why does it take at least six months to build an average three bedroom ranch-style house? After the foundation is poured and the cinder blocks are in place, a straight-line roofed house can be put under roof in three-to-four days. That means the floor system, the outside walls including insulating foam sheathing, all the inside stud walls, the roof trusses fastened in place, plywood or particle board for the roof underlayment, and the felt paper to top it off. On top of that, the widows are installed and the interior floors swept! This is all done by four people.

I used to help do this, so I already know why it takes so long. If I think of it, I'll tell you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Thanks for the mention Ken. Much appreciated.

Well I have some insight into your question. Since they tore down the house next door and have started building a new place. I leave my house at about 7:30 and get home between 5:30 and 6:00 and only three or four times did I ever seen anybody there when I left for work. And only three or four times did I ever see somebody their when I got home. The one guy I saw in the evening was the rooofer. Yea just one guy, and he did not look young, did the roof by himself. I had expected the house to be done much quicker. I think the builder is working with a skeleton crew to keep costs low so he can survive. The house is not big or fancy by any means. Most likely 1400 or so square feet.

Anonymous said...

The builder may have too many irons in the pot! More work than he can handle...

Embarq_lamontl said...

Hello KenA,

I was glad to see you had received the new modem. Please let me know if you have an concerns about your service or the modem. You can send your phone number to Embarq_lamont@embarq.com and I will research the issue for you. Thank you for using Embarq, your complete communications solution.

Lamont L.
Embarq Customer Support
embarq_lamont@embarq.com
For additional support please visit www.embarq.com/freetv or call 1-877-646-3282
Voice | Data | Internet | Wireless | Entertainment

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Lamont L.

Everything seems to be hitting om all cylinders now.

Blog Archive