Sunday, February 19, 2012

Fine dining

Carolyn drove me around the area yesterday; she wanted to visit an old hamburger joint–which is located in Bristol–from days of her youth. We rode around some and finally wound up at the Blue Circle drive-in restaurant. We both ordered burgers and I ordered french fries and she ordered onion rings to eat in the Escape and we waited and waited when finally a guy came out and told us they were out of french fries and would tater tots be ok. I agreed that they would be fine and we waited some more. Here came another guy telling us they were also out of onion rings and would tater-tots be all right for her. Or, we could wait some more because someone had gone to the grocery store to buy some to cook. We were hungry so Carolyn decided tater-tots would be good and we waited some more. Finally here came the first guy carrying our dinner and the cheeseburgers–although tasty–were very paltry in size and the tater-tots were the expected grease bombs. We ate and left there and Carolyn decided she wanted coffee and desert. We drove around some more and wound up in Johnson City at McDonald’s. She ordered us each a cup of coffee–mine with sugar and hers with cream–and two cherry pies. We got to the pay window and were told they were out of cherry pies but if we waited 15 minutes they would have some ready. We decided to take our coffee and leave. Both coffees had cream and neither had sugar. Carolyn had made up her mind she was going to have a cherry pie so we went to a convenience store, bought gasoline, and she went inside to get herself and me cherry pies. She came back out madder than a wet hen; they were out of fried cherry pies. I ended up with some powdered donuts and she had a cherry flavored Twinkie-like cake. We drove around some more, winding up the day back at home. As soon as we pulled into the driveway, My aunt and cousin came by and we visited until past five o’clock and Carolyn and I were both very tired by then.
It wasn’t a haute cuisine day, but it was fun overall; I was glad to get home and finally have a ham sandwich and a bag of chips. I hate to admit it, but it was the first time I had been out of the house since December 27. It felt good to get some air and see things other than my PC monitor and the four walls of home. I took the Pentax with me but found nil to shoot at. Spring was in the air yesterday but today we are supposed to have the first decent snow fall of the winter; figures.
My aunt submitted a story about her life to some publication which was putting together a book about growing up in East Tennessee hills. Damned if she didn’t get her story included in the book. Now I have to come up with $50 to get a copy; she told me she submitted a photo with me in it when I was small and it is also in the book. My entire family must be literary geniuses; I wonder where I went wrong?

No comments:

Blog Archive