Sunday, August 19, 2007

Thanks C. and Trudy for your notes. I'm much better today.

We went to the produce market and bought some green beans, a sack of potatoes, tomatoes and a cantaloupe. All fresh. The beans are now simmering in the slow cooker. We will go back for the next few weekends and get enough potatoes to last most of the winter. We took a mess of green beans to my aunt, and she gave us some yellow squash.

Finally felt well enough to get out and attempt a few photos yesterday. About a half hour in the sun and I was pooped. Didn't get all I wanted, but I'm happy with the ones I got. I was so tired that Carolyn had to drive back home. We did stop for a burger and strawberry shake at the Dairy Queen.

I'm looking forward to apple butter season. I like it with peanut butter, as icing on a yellow cake or molasses cake, instead of syrup on pancakes, on fresh, hot biscuits with butter, and straight up. Early apples are ripe, but they don't makes as good of butter as do semi-sweet apples. Apples and their products will be expensive this year, due to a late mini-ice age we had locally in April which nipped the buds and blooms.

It's almost time for ground cherries (pictured) to ripen. I like to pick and eat them fresh.

How y'all doin' today?

2 comments:

gypsy said...

I've seen these ground cherries, but never tried them......I'll have to. Glad your feeling a bit better.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Colleen. They are good when ripened enough.

Blog Archive