Saturday, August 04, 2007

First, thanks Alice, for the e-card. YOU brightened my day. How long has it been since we met? I went to work at Texas Instruments on December 19, 1973. Fred was one of the first I got to know when y'all were living in the apartment. So, I guess we first met in January of '74. You two bought the house in the spring of that year, didn't you? Even with the tragedy of Fred's passing, there were hundreds of good times to remember. A lot of those good times for Fred, Ken, and me were more of an endurance thing for you. And for Brenda and Carolyn too, I guess. But, we were young and there was always tomorrow. Although we are not quite so young now, we still have some tomorrows left.

------------------------------------------------------------------

After Fred died, and for a big part of the eighties, I was stoned into a different world. Never did fool with heavy drugs very much, but I had my share of reefer. When I finally quit the herb and reduced my alcohol habit, the physical pain it covered for so many years caught up with me. Sometimes I wonder if the benefits of masking the pain were worth the other damages I was perpetrating on myself; physically, mentally, and emotionally. Even now, I find that a couple of fingers of strong whiskey will reduce the discomfort for a while. I prefer moonshine, but rum, tequila, or good old Black Jack will suffice if the dosage is increased. Why am I telling y'all this? Just in case you want to buy me a drink some day. If you do, I'm easy to be taken advantage of by the ladies, if you know what I mean. I reckon that giving up cigarettes in 1983 is the biggest favor I did for myself in that decade.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the email and comments on my photos, Jeremy. You are a special grandson and a special man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we brought the house in April 1974. After Fred's passing you came the next week and said I am going to help you with the legal stuff. You took me all the places I needed to go and I didn't even have to ask. That is what makes our friend so special for all these years. Even tho we don't see each much anymore I know you will be there if I need you. I think of you often.
Yes, there were some enduring time for me Carolyn and Brenda, but we all loved our men very much and stuck by them for better or worse. We were all young and foolish and thougth we would live forever.
Now I know the only way we live forever is in heaven.
Alice

Anonymous said...

I guess being foolish is the best part of being young.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Blog Archive