Monday, August 20, 2007

For the first time in the history of history, our a/c came on at 7:43 am; never has it come on before 9:30 am. It is miserably hot here, and worse, we are 14" below normal on precipitation for the year. We've had dry weather before, but never this bad, at least in my nearly 60-year memory. There is no rain in the forecast for this week, except for those that may get a pop-up thunderstorm. While people in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Wisconsin are dying from flooding, some elderly folk here are succumbing to the heat. Officials in Washington DC, are drawing huge salaries. Laissez-faire.

The Appalachian District Fair begins today in Gray. When I was young, it was the place to be just before the school year started. We would make a quick visit to the exhibits, then it was down and dirty with side-shows, rides, and shooting at wooden (ora, plastic) ducks. My education in the wily ways of women began there at the sideshow. When things were slow, the huckster would take the money from us 12 year old boys and tell us to slide under the canvas in the back so we could see Chloe and Latina entertain. Very! One time, we went under the tent between shows, and the girls put on a private exhibition for the three of us. My life was never the same. I believe that is why I stammer when I'm being introduced to a woman. She may be the most beautiful, alluring, and charming female on earth, but I'm always glad to get away from her and catch my breath. Then I return to take in her beauty from afar, as that is all my shyness will permit. It is my life and burden.

I haven't been to the midway since my kids grew up, and I have no intentions of returning. I may try to get some evening or night photos from a safe distance, if my wretched bones will carry me one more time.

-------------------------------------------------

There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.
--Will Rogers

No comments:

Blog Archive