Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Continued from August 13

In February 1963, a chum with whom I'd been attending school since first grade went to work at Klopman. He was suffering the same fate as I, by having to attend classes few hours each day for an extra year. We conspired, and it was obvious that two young and handsome (horny) men needed a ride on weekends so we could allow the young ladies an opportunity to go out with us.

I began working on my mom, and she soon succumbed and allowed me use of the car to drive myself back and forth to work. If that went ok, she would grant me some weekend miles. Glorious!

We were making minimum wage at Klopman—$1.25/hr.—and were paid bi-weekly. This was a big $100 before taxes, and we still had more than $90 net to do with as we pleased. Fortunately, our respective parents didn't make us pay room and board, so we felt like we could buy the world. I had to purchase gasoline for the car, but at twenty-five cents/gal., a fill-up was only four-to-six dollars.

Late in March, my mom turned me loose in the car for a Saturday night of what I imagined would be some satisfying debauchery. I had to be in by midnight, and no drinking and no smoking cigarettes and no drag racing. It was obvious she was keeping a closer eye on my reading materials that I thought. I was able to conceal my Playboy magazines, though, I think.

First stop was a gas station for a fill-up and a pack of smokes, then on to Larry's house, and then to town for some cruising. I left home as a virginal boy, and intended to return home as a man of the world. As it came to be, the only thing I got that night that I hadn't had before was a pizza.

It was a cold and often rainy evening, not conducive to successful hunting and gathering of babes. Larry kept wanting me to take him to a bootlegger friend of ours so he could buy a bottle of whiskey. I kept seeing my sorry ass walking for the rest of my life, or until I was able to afford my own vehicle. I declined his pleadings, and finally drove him to his house and then took myself home, all before 11:00 pm.

The next weekend would be a little different.

No comments:

Blog Archive