Thursday, August 30, 2007

I'll be taking off this weekend, so if I don't post and you need a fix, feel free to go over some of my old material. If you've read one, you've read them all, pretty well sums it up

We are going south to where our next home will be, possibly in a year or so. At least I hope it is such. Maybe after I get there, it won't exist anything like I remember it. If so, I've a plan "B". Plan "B" calls for heading north to West Virginia. a place I've alway considered my second home. I'm reasonably sure it hasn't changed a whole lot, at least the rural area where I wish to go.

If I go south to live, I will be getting closer to a bigger city than I'm used to. I don't much care for large towns. If I go north, though, the nearest towns aren't much different than what I'm used to here.

I've worked in several parts of WV, such as Charleston (twice), Parkersburg (thrice), Clarksburg, Weirton and Wheeling. Wheeling, had snobby, indifferent people. Weirton was a good—but dirty—mill town, Its biggest grace was the mighty Ohio River. Clarksburg was a dirty little town located between hell and perdition. The people were nice enough, though. Parkersburg was ok, but for some reason, some of the people thought it was the best place on earth to live. Charleston was a party town and the state capitol where much fun was had by all. I'll get to that part of my education on a later date.

Why did I work in these places? I was a tramp electrician and those areas are where the money was. Always some kind of heavy construction going on in those days, and overtime quickly made a man's pockets green. Building power plants and working shutdowns in steel mills and chemical plants was my way of life. Seedy hotels, barracks, and run down trailers were my abodes. Greasy spoons, canned food, and an occasional deli kept me alive. Would I want to do it again? No. Did it make me a better man? Yes. What did I learn? Humility and self reliance.

o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0


Women aren't as mere as they used to be.--Walt Kelly

No comments:

Blog Archive