Wednesday, October 01, 2014

October's beauty

 
Impatiens heart


Story telling time in Jonesborough. The event is recognized around the world as one of the premiere story telling festivals. Yarn spinners from far and near come to tell their tales as do people travel here to listen to them. A more important festival as far as I am concerned is the Apple Festival in Erwin. It is held in conjunction with the story telling. I expect some delicious apple butter to to be stored in our pantry.

What is it about October that I like so well? As much as I detest the promise of winter and its harsh reality hiding just around the corner, there is something about the tenth month which I love. Maybe the waning day’s sunlight is brighter; it certainly seems so. Maybe the nip in the air is refreshing after the long hot days of summer. Could it be the colors of the leaves changing from soothing green into bright yellows, oranges, and reds? It is most likely all of these things along with a lot more subtle nuances which give me inspiration and hope. Whatever the reasons, October has slowly become my second favorite month of the year, closely following on the heels of June with its first days of full blown summer.

Alice, JJ said to tell you that Gertrude Street said “hello”. He does yard work for her. She made apple butter on her stove and sent us a jar which instantly made her one of my favorite people.

- – – – – -

No comments:

Blog Archive