Thursday, March 10, 2011

Winds and ducks

The winds yesterday afternoon were a bit more substantial than predicted. Our electric went off line at about 5:20 just as I was commenting on blog comments. The power was restored around 9:00pm, but I was in good shape; I went to bed as soon as I saw it was not going to be quickly restored and did some reading via the Droid and that was what I was still doing when Carolyn came home from work at 8:30. I am almost finished reading Enslaved by Ducks, a story of a Michigan couple who have dedicated their lives to animal's well being. Actually, I think they are feather addicts. I've yet to figure out how they get their money to take care of their many birds as he is a writer for a magazine and his wife is a janitor. Anyway, they get it done. The book is written in what I call a loose style where the subject matter is more important than how the stories are told. The prose has very little flow, but the charming wit of the writer, Bob Tarte, keeps everything in perspective.
----
The photo was made in early autumn 1982 from a first floor classroom window at East Tennessee State University's Rogers-Stout Hall; I was attending American History class at the time and the teacher was at the blackboard with his back to me, trying to bore the innocence out of some American youths. That particular educator had a hang-up about teaching us who was President Abraham Lincoln's vice-president. The shot is of poor quality mostly because I scanned the negative with a document scanner.
----
Have a Thursday!


No comments:

Blog Archive