Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bad Wisconson; Bad!

I an officially boycotting Wisconsin products; I'm not big on eating cheese anyway.
----
College pars unus:
T'other day, Jola mentioned in a comment that I should write about my college experiences. After thinking about it for awhile, I came to the conclusion it was a pretty straightforward experience. Being in my mid-thirties, I was considered a "non-traditional" student and did not quite fit the mold of the average 18 year-old just beginning to matriculate. In a way, it was more difficult for me, at least at the beginning. I didn't have any problem getting the classes I wanted because they were mostly core classes except for Introduction to Psychology 101 and the Art Department's Introduction to Photography 101. Having been away from formal schooling for so long, I knew I was not going to be a tight fit with traditional students who saw me as an establishment oldster. Having a fairly high IQ (I was invited to join MENSA) and many more years of "life experience" including a full four-year electrical apprenticeship and several years of tramping the roads plying my trade meant that, arrogantly, I felt I already knew more than the incoming teens ever would be privy to. Mostly I had been there and done that. East Tennessee State University was beginning its first foray into the semester system and away from the ages-old quarter system of classes and grading. Somehow some genius figured out that they could have four semesters per year to replace the four quarters: Fall semester; spring semester, and two summer semesters. I remember my first Monday morning of classes in late August of 1980, and my first ever class was English Composition 101 which was taught by a graduate student and was instrumental in hooking me on writing my stories and eventually, penning this blog. As I stood on the portico awaiting class time, I sucked down several cigarettes; for the first time since I left home alone to go tramping into the unknown in 1970, I was extremely nervous; in fact, I was ready to head for my truck, grab a beer, light a joint, and go home and forget about the whole mess as I actually did not want to be there anyway. But, I sucked up my courage and waited. The kids were busy chatting among themselves, but I did notice there were a one or two other students standing by themselves who seemed a bit older than the "norm".
More at a later date ...
----
Have a fun worshday!
----


No comments:

Blog Archive