Thursday, March 17, 2011

Books and Boone

I finished the book The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Although I thought I might be able to raise my rating from a three to at least a 3.5, I found myself disappointed in the faith a reader must have to really care about putting into Masonic beliefs and the Hebrew-Christian bible. Another thing is that some of the characters are just too unbelievable as are some of the main events that try to make the story work. The entire book consists 574 pages and 133 chapters plus Prologue and Epilogue, and nearly of it all takes place in one night in the city of Washington, D.C. If you are into the teaching and beliefs of Free Masonry and some occult happenings, this book may interest you as it relates to the founding of the United States of America. Many of the framers of the Constitution were Free Masons and that great document is actually based on Free Masonry beliefs. As a work of fiction, the book is ok so I will hold to my three out of a possible five rating for this book because I did learn quite a bit about Free Masonry and about writing.
----
Jola asked about Boone Station from yesterday's photograph. I really don't know much about the place except it is named after the first European descent explorer to blaze a trail across the mountains from western North Carolina into what is now East Tennessee. It is known that Daniel Boone explored and hunted in the Washington County area because, like many other early frontiersmen, he sometimes carved his initials on the bark of trees, particularly beech species which has a smooth bark. About a mile from Boone Station was a huge beech tree with the carved inscription "D. Boon Cilled (killed) a. Bar (Bear) on tree in the year 1760". I understand the old tree died in the early 1900's and I have seen the site where it stood; a photo was made while it was still standing and is on display at the Washington County courthouse in Jonesborough. I've heard that Boone Station was a stagecoach stop-over where passengers could get meals and a bed before continuing their journeys. It is located near CSX railroad tracks but I doubt it was ever used as a train stop. It is located about three miles (6.5 km) from where I was born and raised. Not far from it on Boones creek is a small waterfall behind which Boone hid from Cherokee Indians who were tracking him. The falls are too small at present to hide behind but when I was a boy, I sometimes played there and pretended to be Boone fighting the savages. Sited a mile farther on down the creek near Flourville where it mingles its waters with the Watauga River, was the home of the first white child born in what was then known as the Southwest Territory. The first capitol of the territory was located near Johnson City. There is a lot of American history in my area.
----
Have a splendiferous Thursday!


No comments:

Blog Archive