Tuesday, March 15, 2011

More school

Wanda
Looks like the better weather I have been craving and whining for will become a reality this weekend. Warm and dry! Today, as yesterday, it rains.
----
College part two:
My first declared major in college was psychology with minors in sociology and art.
I had one personal reason for attending school; photography. However, E.T.S.U. was not the best place for learning photography because it had all the photography classes in the art department. I had no choice on the matter because it is a state owned school and the State of Tennessee was paying the bills for me to be there. I had no intention of becoming an artist; I just wanted to learn to shoot and shoot well, but I had to take what was available. I already had a Nikon SLR and a couple of lenses, so I was set to do my own thing. Mainly, I wanted to learn to use the darkroom equipment and chemicals and have access to the darkroom when no one else was around. I got some darkroom experience that first semester, but basically learned basics of photography. More on photography later. My Tuesday morning class was psychology followed by art history. On Mondays. Wednesdays, and Fridays, classes were 50 minutes with a ten minute get-to-the-next-class break. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, classes ran two hours and twenty minutes with 10 minute traveling break. The psychology classes took place fairly large auditorium and was packed with kids looking for an easy course; the instructor was about my age and used a lot of humor and it was a good class for me and I aced it. The art history class was held in the same auditorium, but whereas I sat close to the front in psychology class, I kept in the background shadows for the art history. It was a long and tiring class mostly taught by a monotone voice with photographic slides displayed on a not-large-enough screen. A tenured professor who was originally from Eastern Europe, Romania maybe (Jola, does the surname Pav sound like Romanian? It is pronounced "P-ah'-ve"). He was a matter of fact teacher for our class in European art history from Renaissance up to 1900. He was a stickler for correct spelling of artist's names; any misspelling was considered as a wrong answer. During semester finals, Carolyn had me out of bed at 4:00 am tutoring me and making sure I could spell correctly; thanks to her I managed to salvage a "B+" grade for the course.
Next: A foray into writing.
----
Photo is of my first real girlfriend. She lived deep in the mountains of North Carolina.
----
Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Blog Archive